This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Oh, 2020. I don’t think any of us thought that we would go through quarantine, fighting over toilet paper in grocery stores, binging Chloe Ting workouts (without actually doing them), and switching to online classes. I personally have had waves of productivity: picking up a new hobby, reading through books, and watching new shows. But I’ve also had tough moments: loneliness being the dominant struggle. 

There’s no denying that this year has been a lot for all of us. I asked fellow Colby womxn what they thought of this year, and what they have learned in 2020. Take a look!

“I have learned that self-care and taking care of my mental health is my #1 priority. Recognizing that I am affected by this year’s events and circumstances and reaching out to others in a vulnerable way is super helpful to me doing my best each day.” Olivia ‘21

“I learned what to prioritize in my life and prioritize myself and happiness over all else” Christie ‘22

“I learned about the importance of community” Rachel ‘22

“I have learned how to derive joy from small things like making myself a nice meal or wearing a cute outfit” Anjalee ‘21

“The tops of people’s faces are more attractive than the bottom” Anonymous

“I learned to be more appreciative of opportunities to see friends in person” Julia ‘21

“I learned to appreciate all the moments you get to spend with your family and friends” Sydney ‘21

“Being in a pandemic makes it hard to have sex” Anonymous

“I learned that asking for what you want gets easier the more often you do it” Katie ‘22

“I’ve learned that the two-party system of politics has possibly become more harmful than helpful” Mia ‘23

“If you want to do something, don’t push it off. Don’t wait until later—just do it” Marina ‘21

What did you learn this year?

I am a senior at Colby studying Art History and Global Studies. I love talking about art, coffee, and books! At Colby, I'm a barista at Mary Low Coffee House, a member of Asian Student Association, co-chair of Museum Student Advisory Board, and Colby Dancers. So happy to be a part of the HerCampus family!