Wellness

Six Skin Care Products that Transformed My Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

I have dealt with acne and redness in my face ever since the beginning of high school. I’ve tried various antibiotics and treatments but I still wasn’t getting the results I wanted. So, for the past few years, I’ve been experimenting with different products trying to find what works best for me, and here’s a list of my top six skincare products: 

EmerginC – Phytocell Detox Mask 

What it does…

This (along with the clarifying and peel pads) is the best thing to ever touch my skin. I use the mask twice a week and see results right away. My face looks brighter and more evenly toned even after one use. 

Cost: $46.40 

EmerginC – Clarifying and Peel Pads 

What it does…

Like I said, a game-changer. This peel has helped my acne so much. I use it once or twice a week and have never found that to be too harsh on my skin. It’s a little bit more expensive, but you’re getting the set of clarifying and peel pads (that have lasted me over a year) and it’s well worth it. If you have acne I highly recommend these!  

Cost: $89.90 

Mad Hippie – Exfoliating Serum 

What it does… 

This serum uses all-natural ingredients such as apple stem cells and Giga white to even and brighten skin tone while shedding dull and damaged and discolored skin. I use this 1-3 times a week and notice that my skin looks less dull and feels firmer after each use. 

Cost: $27.99 

CeraVe – Skin Renewing Night Cream and Serum 

What it does… 

We all know what a Maine winter can do to your skin, and it isn’t always pretty. I use these both before bed to lock in moisture for the night. I use the serum solely as an under eye cream while I apply the cream more liberally. This combination is enough to keep my skin hydrated and happy, but doesn’t cause me to break out!

Cost: $23.76 for the serum and $13.89 for the cream

The Ordinary – 100% Plant-Derived Squalane    

What it does… 

This is a light-weight hydrating solution. I use this most nights and some mornings after washing my face and before applying my daily lotion. It has helped lock in moisture on the coldest of days and leaves my face feeling soft and refreshed! Also, a fun bonus is that you can use it on your hair to increase heat protection, add shine, and reduce breakage! 

Cost: $7.90

Vaseline – Lip Therapy  

What it does… 

This has been my saving grace. I was an avid Aquaphor user until this past summer. I was slabbing on Aquaphor before bed every night and still waking up with red, irritated lips. It was the most frustrating thing until my sister recommended that I switch to vaseline. They are pretty similar, but Vaseline is just petroleum jelly while Aquaphor has a few other ingredients mixed in. This can be awesome, but if you’re like me and Aquaphor no longer is doing the trick, switch to vaseline! 

Cost: $2.00

I know everyone has different skin types and preferences, but I hope any of this is useful! Here’s to clear and bright skin throughout 2020 :).

Sophomore at Colby College!