Feature Hero Oat Milk Heropng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Feature Hero Oat Milk Heropng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Megan Charles / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

You’ve probably seen the words “oat milk” while waiting in line at a coffee shop. You’ve seen it, you’ve heard it, but you have absolutely no idea what the heck oat milk is. Well, I’m here to tell you that oat milk is a new fad in alternative milk that is healthy, yummy, and even good for the environment!

What the heck is oat milk?

Oat milk is the latest to join the alternative milk gang (think: soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk). Unlike those milks, oat milk is super creamy and not watery at all. It even has all the vitamins you get out of dairy milk—vitamin D and calcium to name a few. It’s also a good alternative if you’re lactose intolerant or vegan.

The process of making oat milk is quite simple: oats are soaked in water and strained. There are some DIY oat milk recipes out there too—it’s that simple.

So… why oat milk?

It’s a great alternative to dairy milk. We all know how environmentally unfriendly cows can be, and oat milk also doesn’t have as much fat as dairy milks do. On top of that, it beats other alternative milks because oat milk production actually uses significantly less water than other types, like almond milk! If you’re all about saving the environment, and still getting your yummy, nutritious milk, oat milk is definitely for you.

Where can I get it?

Literally every grocery store now should carry oat milk! My personal favorite is “Oat Yeah” by Silk :) (Link here!)

Now that you know the oat milk craze, jump on the bandwagon! What’s not to love about this new healthy, environmentally sustainable milk?

I am a senior at Colby studying Art History and Global Studies. I love talking about art, coffee, and books! At Colby, I'm a barista at Mary Low Coffee House, a member of Asian Student Association, co-chair of Museum Student Advisory Board, and Colby Dancers. So happy to be a part of the HerCampus family!