danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Living and Working Alone in LA Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Sometimes you’re stuck and you don’t even know it. You wake up, go to class and cycle through the same outfits, work schedules, drama, and assignments. You have the same conversations with the same people, drink the same things, go to the same parties, only to listen to the same music. Don’t get me wrong, I like college, but we can become so complacent in the comfort and safety of our campus that we forget how to grow.

This past January, I lived and worked in Los Angeles, and yes, it was as fantastic as it sounds. I was given the opportunity to intern at an incredible production agency in the South Bay. I lived in a beautiful Airbnb with the most amazing host, only 2 minutes from the beach. Monday through Friday (9:00am to 6:00pm) was spent learning about the industry from the smartest women, in the most gorgeous loft, right next to the Lakers.

While this was wonderful and I feel so eternally grateful to have been able to have had these experiences, it was the personal growth and 180° mindset change that impacted me the most.

For context, I am an anxious person. I hardly slept or ate for an entire week prior to my trip because I was so riddled with nerves and thoughts of “what if?” When I am stressed, it consumes me, and I can’t function properly until I’ve somehow solved or eliminated whatever was causing the stress in the first place.

But all this changed when I went to LA. Here are five valuable lessons I learned:

1. Go in with 0 expectations.

This being my first time in Los Angeles, my first time working in a professional office, and my first real experience in the world of production, it’s safe to say I had no idea what to expect. When you have no expectations, it’s hard to be let down, and very easy to be continually surprised and accepting of all the good that can happen.

2. Accept every opportunity that comes your way.

This is a big one. While I am huge advocate for saying no to things you don’t want to do, when in a new place with practically zero connections, one of the smartest things to do is say “yes.” From the people at my job, to my Airbnb host, to the friends I made, my time in LA was made 100x better by accepting invitations and being open to meeting new people and exploring new places. This willingness to be open to new experiences landed me at an exclusive party on the Venice Canals one night to celebrate the launch of a new Hard Kombucha brand (I mean does it get any more LA?).

3. Move towards what moves you.

I wish I could take credit for this one, but my co-worker Olivia told me this. In other words, do what feels right. I had spent so much time playing it safe in my comfortable routines that I had forgotten what makes me feel alive. Maybe it was the sun or the balmy 75° weather, but my time in LA made me realize what I want from my life and how I can alter my mindset to get just that. When you identify the things that move you and ignite your passions, you can make tangible changes to your routines to incorporate everything you need.

4. Appreciate being alone.

I can’t lie, while it was great to not have roommates or share a bathroom for three weeks, I struggled a lot with being alone. At home, in NYC, I can spend whole weeks just exploring the city alone and I feel perfectly at peace. But when I got to LA, I felt instantly terrified of going anywhere by myself. By pushing myself out of my comfort zone and forcing myself to explore places alone, I realized how much physical, mental, and emotional distance from other people can give you the room you need to grow and change.

5. Have faith in the universe.

Before you write this one off for sounding too witchy, hear me out. I’m the type of person who, when one bad thing happens to me, automatically assumes the universe is out to get me. When I was in LA, the people that I met amazed me with their ability to seamlessly differentiate between what was worth worrying about and what wasn’t. The people I met taught me to have faith in the path that I’m on, and to feel secure in my own ability to cultivate a mindset that allows me to recognize all the good that’s happening, when it happens.

Courtesy of Olivia Wandres

Explore a part of your neighborhood you’ve never been to or introduce yourself to that girl in your class you want to be friends with. Try something you’ve always wanted to or spend some time alone getting to know yourself. I didn’t realize how stuck I was until I left, and now I get to come back with a renewed faith in my passions and my ability to create important and meaningful changes and relationships in my life.

If you’re feeling stuck too, leave your comfort zone for a while. Chances are, you’ll create a newer, better, maybe even sunnier one.  

Olivia is a sophomore at Colby College with a major in English Creative Writing. She is a chronic insomniac from Brooklyn, NY with a passion for the beach, music festivals, and finessing her schedule to never have class on Friday's. Olivia is the Social Media Executive Manager for HerCampus Colby, The Co-President of the Colby Music Incubator, and a proud member of the Colbyettes A Capella group. Usually can be found chasing the sun, sometimes across the country. Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/liv_wandres?si=K_AOh2g4ScurSoUPMtWseA
Sydney is a senior at Colby originally from Wilmette, Illinois. She is a German Studies and English double major with a concentration in creative writing. On campus, Sydney is a COOT leader, member of Colby Dance Company, barista in the Mary Low Coffee House, a language assistant, and president of Colby's chapter of HC. When she isn't working, dancing, or writing, you can probably find her laughing at her own jokes or talking about the Midwest.