10 Reasons Not to Go to Colby College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

If you’re an accepted student, senior or junior in high school, or a student in college looking to transfer and are thinking about applying to Colby, think again. To be honest, it may seem pretty great and really beautiful, but there’s really nothing good about it. Don’t believe me? Maybe this list will convince you.

1.     Maine is a pretty ugly place—who wants all of that nature and those vivid colors?

2.     There are, like, no extracurricular activities or clubs to get involved in. So boring.

3. It’s almost too easy to get to a mountain for skiing… like ugh. Just hand it to me on a silver platter, why don’t you?

During ski season, Colby students hit Sugarloaf mountain almost every weekend.

4. Campus is a pretty bland-looking place.

5. Professors don’t care about their students at all.

The John J. and Cornelia V. Gibson Professor of History Elizabeth Leonard wears a student in her class’ football jersey to support him for his home game.

Director of the Education Program and Professor of Education Adam Howard has his students over to his house for a home-cooked dinner every semester.

6. And classes are huge, so you’ll never get individual attention from a professor if you’re into that.

Professor of Science, Technology, and Society James (Jim) Fleming takes class outside for the day.

7. Colby kids don’t love it at all.

8. And it’s not like the people are nice… no way you’ll make lifelong friends here.

9. Our art museum is pretty understated and gross looking. There’s also no famous art in it. I mean, why even have a museum?

The Colby College Museum of Art is one of the best college art museums in the country.

10. And the work hard/play hard thing? Totally not a thing here. 

The Colby community celebrates 200 years with a bicentennial ball.

Colby students gather on the steps of Miller library to watch the sunrise on Doghead, a longstanding Colby tradition.

Every semester, our Student Programming Board (SPB) brings at least one band to campus. Recent examples include Misterwives, RAC, and Macklemore.

Still don’t believe us? Fine—We warned you! Come and experience for yourself. 

All photos not sourced were taken by Carli Jaff.

Carli Jaff is a senior at Colby with a double major in American Studies and Education. Outside of classes and being a CC for Her Campus Colby, she is the Managing Editor of the school newspaper, a writing tutor at the college writers' center, a research assistant for the Head of the Education department, and a co-chair of Colby's Senior Pledge Committee. Carli is very excited to work for Her Campus Colby and share her love for college with you all!