This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

This year has been packed full of new things, with our extended break after Thanksgiving being one of them. If you’re anything like me, you might be thinking about what you are going to do with all of that time off. Personally, I have been planning out every meal from the second I step back into my childhood home and thought I might share so here are 10 recipes to make when you’re home with extra time. 

Shakshuka

Shakshuka is a middle eastern dish that is perfect for breakfast or dinner. It’s a one-skillet dish with a red pepper sauce and eggs, served well with bread. You can buy a Shakshuka starter from Trader Joe’s or make it from scratch. If you decide to make it yourself, I recommend this recipe

Ratatouille

Whether you have been on Remy the Musical TikTok or not, I’m sure we’ve all craved this dish from the Disney classic. Ratatouille is a veggie-packed dish that’s guaranteed to impress! A great recipe can be found here!

Focaccia

If you are like me and missed the bread-making trend this past April, you might still be looking to try your hand at homemade bread. If so, why not go all in and try focaccia! If you are looking for a recipe, try this one!

Meringue or Pavlova

No matter what you decide, you can’t go wrong with either meringue or pavlova. Meringue is crispy and dry while pavlova is crispy on the outside but soft and fluffy on the inside (and a recipe is linked for both no matter what you decide to try!). Both are utterly delicious and are a great way to spend thirty minutes to a few hours. 

Tom Kha Gai

Tom Kha Gai is a Thai coconut chicken soup and is the perfect cold-weather dinner. It’s creamy and delicious, and while this isn’t the traditional way to eat it, it’s perfect with rice as an add-in! Here is a recipe I love to use! 

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Another great soup option. Chicken tortilla soup is a crowd pleaser and is guaranteed to warm you from the inside out. Here’s a great recipe

Bagels

I have been wanting to make my own bagels forever, and now’s the time! Recipes range all over the board from the popular two-ingredient bagels I see all over my TikTok for-you-page, to the classic New York style bagel. Whatever you decide, I can’t imagine a better way to spend a winter morning! 

Spanakopita

Phyllo dough stuffed with cheese and spinach… yes, please! This dish might take a few tries to master to get the ultimate crisp, but is well worth it in the end! Here is a recipe if you decide to try your hand! 

Gyoza

As more and more restaurants are not offering dine-in service, we might have to get a little bit more creative with our cravings. Good things gyoza are almost as easy to make as they are to eat! Perfect with meat or veggies

Risotto

Another winter classic. I always opt for a lemon-parmesan risotto but this is the perfect dish to experiment with and personalize to your liking! You can try my favorite lemon risotto or any other version that piques your interest!  

Sophomore at Colby College!