This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Fidget toys are relatively new in social and academic spheres. There tends to be a stigma surrounding anything having to do with mental health and I think that normalizing fidget toys in class can help alleviate this stigma. They have many uses from helping with focus, being a calming task, and even helping some spiritually. I have dealt with chronic anxiety for years now and can often be found not sitting still because if I don’t move, my anxious energy builds in my body until it overwhelms my mind. In college, I found fidgets that work for me without being distracting to others. 

1. Fidget Rings 

I have wanted fidget rings for years but the ones I saw were too thick for my style. About a year ago, I found two rings that I wear every day to help with my anxiety. One is a spinner ring that is subtle enough to blend into my everyday jewelry but glides smoothly for a reassuring motion that I can make with no one noticing. The other one is a ring made of three interlocked rings that can be moved on and off the finger for multiple soothing movements. These two were rings that I picked out, but I have worn rings for years that I used for a grounding feeling on my hands. 

1. Jewelry 

This one may seem obvious, but something I have always done is have a hair tie around my wrist (which has evolved into an amethyst bracelet with a little charm, but more on that later) to have for fidgeting. Bracelets are my favorite as they can be easily taken off and manipulated as needed. Necklaces are also good subtle fidgets as you can hide them under clothing when not in use and barely notice that they are there. Charms are essential for me as they are something to move around and feel between your fingers in a way that is grounding. They can also have chewing aspects added to them as charms for those who have those needs as well. 

1. Fidget Cube 

One of my oldest fidget toys is the classic fidget cube. It is a plastic cube with each side having a slightly different fidget aspect to them from switches to gears, joysticks, buttons, and more. They do range in noise level as some have a noise for those with auditory fidget needs, but most of them are silent and can be used subtly without disturbing anyone close to you. 

1. Calm Strips 

These strips are adhesive so you can stick them to your laptop, phone, emotional support water bottle, etc. They have multiple textures from small to larger grits and many designs. I have friends who attach them to their laptops near the keyboards so they can type and self-soothe at the same time. The repetitive texture can be used for subtle breathing exercises and as a general way to focus on typing. 

1. Crystals 

A more potentially spiritual fidget is a crystal. Crystals come in all shapes and sizes and have so many textures that can appeal to many people who need tactile fidgets. I grew up with soothing stones that were meant to go between the thumb and forefinger and be rubbed in time with breathing. However, that is not the only type; there are rougher stones that can be used for those who need more varied textures. On the more metaphysical side, certain crystals are said to bring or enhance certain emotions. For example, amethyst is a crystal I use a lot as it is seen as an anti-anxiety stone. Rose quartz can be used for self-love, citrine could be used for focus, tiger’s eye is a grounding stone, and aventurine is used for mental clarity and creativity. 

Avery Griffin

Coastal Carolina '23

Avery is a senior Marine Science major, with an English minor. She is a queer woman interested in social justice, reading (or increasing her TBR), coffee, tea, and exploring nature and whatever else Myrtle Beach can offer. Her writings mostly consist of book reviews and some culture.