This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Hair; it changes your perception of yourself. We all have a preference on hairstyle, cut, and color. I love having my hair done just the right way. It boosts my confidence so much, but there was a point in my life where I was damaging my hair but applying heat to it, and when I did not have the time to style it in the morning I threw it into a quick bun. For somebody like me who has frizzy, thin, straight hair it was detrimental to my look. Turning into a vicious cycle of not only damaging my hair beyond repair but building my insecurities. I could not look at myself when I was at home and walking around with natural hair.

Then I met a good friend who never once did their hair and wore it down no matter how bad of a hair day they were having.

She became my inspiration that helped me become more confident. She would also compliment me whenever she saw that I had not done anything to my hair, slowly bringing my confidence back. She taught me that leave in conditioner, and frizz spray were easy ways to battle the South Carolina humidity without heat, allowing my natural hair to pop.

Over time I became more and more okay with not doing my hair, embracing the natural look, and feeling like more myself than ever. I also noticed over time how much healthier and thicker my hair became, which only encouraged me to be natural more. It was a cycle that I broke, and I can never look back. I currently only do my hair for special occasions, and I encourage you to work towards loving your natural hair because you won’t regret it.

This is not to discourage you from doing your hair, but to show you that you don’t have to in order to be beautiful. You’re beautiful just the way you are and however you express yourself, but don’t feel limited to the confinements of typical beauty standards if you want something different for yourself.

Emmalee Johnson

South Carolina '22

English Major @ CCU