This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Going from the bustling life of campus to the slower days of being at home, it can be hard to not feel like you’re missing out, especially when scrolling through social media and seeing the lives of others. Here are some of my favorite tips and tricks on how to beat this Fear Of Missing Out and how to truly dive into the moment. 

My biggest suggestion is to cut down on social media time as much as you can. I know this is something no one wants to do and that it can be difficult. However, this one action eliminates so much stress as you can no longer see through the windows of people’s lives. Now, I am a big fan of screens, so this part is also tough for me. What I try to do to compensate for this gap of technology in my life is by attaching some of my time to the TV and books that are on my TBW and TBR lists. By watching shows I’ve missed out on and catching a movie with some friends, it’s easy to have a brain break while not feeling the pressure of society and expectations. Hours fly by when switching to the TV, and eventually, I need a break from it anyway so this option works out the best for me! Reading books is basically the same thing, but it’s more of a mental break where I can feel more accomplished and get lost in the worlds that authors create. It’s so easy to get caught up in the lives of others that I always forget to take care of me, and enjoy the more simplistic and special elements of my favorite habits and hobbies. These are just a few ways for me to slowly lose the pressure of social media.

Once your screen time is maxed out of its hours for the day, I always try to enjoy the sun as much as I can, even on cloudy days. Being outside can be difficult to achieve when it’s not wrapped around your daily routines of walking to class or eating lunch on the patio. There’s always a task attached to being outside, so for Spring Break I like to ditch that habit for a bit and go outside simply because I want to be there. The best way for me to do this is by checking out any local trails or parks near me. There’s a park that’s close to my house where I walk my dogs, and with the perks of living by the ocean, I am able to walk up to the waterway through the park trails. It’s delightful, it’s immersive, and it is so relaxing. It’s also very healthy, which I think is an added plus to this event. You can also have people join you and catch up with some friends, have a picnic in the park, and bask in the fresh air and sun. It’s a 10/10 experience and makes you feel less sluggish and bored with all your extra time. 

Speaking of hobbies, this next suggestion is based around any you may have. I personally enjoy painting! Am I very good at it? Not really, but do I enjoy it? Absolutely! This hobby is also paired wonderfully with wine, so if you’re a sip and paint kind of person, I definitely suggest looking into any local wine and design studios near you. However, this whole concept can also be created at home, especially if you’re on a budget, so skipping the studio is always an option. Personally, it’s much better to create at home because you can always invite friends and/or family over and have a fun get-together. You can also rate paintings at the end which is way better with the wine aspect. Painting can be done morning, noon, and night, and it’s a great way to spice things up and get lost in your mind and talent. FOMO is definitely at the back of the mind when you can just enjoy painting in the moment. 

Another great way to paint is by painting the town! Go out, try some local shops and cafes, explore the unexplored, and spend a day treating yourself. Even though most people go home on spring break and they find themselves bored, it’s usually because they don’t know about some hole-in-the-wall locations or events going on that can make for a great experience. Dive into your local area and see what bands are performing, what park sports are going on, and check out the new cafe or tea bomb shop for a refreshing treat. These small and simple actions can take your mind off any vacation or trip you feel you’re missing out on and can make you appreciate the simplicity of being local and going home. 

My last suggestion is probably one of my favorite ones that I will be personally trying to check off my spring break to-do list. While most people strive to make it to the beach or some pool locations to spend their time soaking up the sun, there are still other ways to get out and about without worrying about living by the ocean or having a pool to visit. Mini golf, or putt-putt, is a great way to get outside and enjoy the day while also doing something nostalgic. Putt Putt was my favorite thing to do when I was little, and every time I go it feels like I’m healing my inner child. The themes can be fun and simple, and you can putt-putt outside, inside, and in the dark, like, it can never get old! Another great option for getting out of the house is going to the rolling rink. I have not been in forever and I am a little afraid of falling on my butt, but what better time to go rollerblading than on spring break. It’s so much fun, and you can bring friends! It’s an opportunity to experience that childhood feeling again and absolutely live in the moment, especially when you fall.

These are just a few of my suggestions on how to beat that Fear Of Missing Out, and how to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, especially the nostalgic ones. I hope each and every one of you can take a relaxing break and enjoy this time to yourself to do whatever your heart desires. This is the time to enjoy YOU and rebuild that relationship with yourself, to do whatever you want to do, with no fears of expectations and societal pressures. This is your time to shine and I hope you can achieve this with or without these suggestions. Have a wonderful spring break!

Peyton Barrett

Coastal Carolina '23

Peyton is an English major with a minor in Pre-law. Her hobbies include reading, gushing over her many pets (2 dogs and 4 cats), and baking. Her goal is to become a high school English teacher. Her focus is to share her love for reading and writing in any way that she can.