kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Tried 8 Brands of Vegan Protein Bars So You Don’t Have To (Ranked)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Did you know that protein is important for your hair, nails, muscles, bones, skin, and blood? Because protein is such an important macronutrient, it is advised that you should consume one gram of protein per one pound of your bodyweight. However, most people – especially vegans – probably don’t consume enough protein every day. Therefore, many people consider supplements.

One of the most popular protein supplements are protein bars. Convenient, reminiscent of candy bars, and very nutritious, protein bars are taking over the snack market. There are so many options, including both vegan and non-vegan options.

In this article, I’ll be reviewing eight brands of vegan protein bars I’ve tried, so you can go pick one up today! This article will also include information on the macros of each bar, just in case anyone reading this is a macro tracker or just likes to watch their nutrition!

1. Clif Builder’s Protein Builders’ Bar

This bar packs a huge punch with 20 grams of soy protein and only clocks in at 280 calories. The other macros are a bit higher, with carbs being 29 grams and fat being 10 grams. Pros: Just like a candy bar!!! Seriously – they’re addictive, and they’re huge! One bar fills me up for hours. They have the highest amount of protein I’ve found in a vegan bar, and I’ve been looking for a long time… Cons: It has a somewhat extensive ingredient list, 21 grams of sugar, and is the most expensive bar on this lineup.  

2. GoMacro Protein Pleasure Bar

This bar is an organic and gluten-free snack that will add 11 grams of rice and pea protein to your daily intake. At 290 calories, this bar is a bit higher than the rest on this lineup, but it’s definitely worth it! However, it will deliver a slightly more hefty amount of carbs, composed of 37 grams. This bar has 11 grams of fat. Pros: Support a new/small business!! It also has clean ingredients and fresh and unique flavors. Cons: This bar definitely “tastes vegan”…if you know, you know. It doesn’t bother me, but I know it bothers some people, so be aware! It also has 14 grams of sugar and is a pricier bar.  

3. Clif Bars

These have been on the market for years and have remained popular due to their organic and rich flavors. This bar delivers 11 grams of soy protein at 260 calories. Pros: Clif Bars have a huge flavor selection and only 7 grams of fat. It’s a large-sized bar, so it’s a very filling snack. Cons: It has 40 grams of carbs…omg. The bar also contains 19 grams of sugar. Furthermore, flavors could be considered “boring” I guess. 

4. Simply Protein Bar

Simply Protein Bar is a low-calorie and low-sugar package of 15 grams of protein! 150 calories will get you 17 grams of carbs and only 4.5 grams of fat. This bar is also gluten free! Pros: It has minimal ingredients and only one gram of sugar!! It’s also the lowest-calorie option on this lineup. Cons: It tastes more like a “fitness” snack and less like a candy bar. Also, it can be hard to find in some stores and is a smaller-sized bar.  

5. Larabar

Larabar is a sub-company of Clif Bar that creates simplistic snack bars. This bar is gluten free and only includes four ingredients,, yet it still tastes amazing! This bar is one of the lower-calorie options on the list, clocking in at 210. The other macros are a bit higher, with carbs being 23 grams and fat being 12 grams. Pros: Larabar only uses ingredients you know and can trust and is one of the cheaper bars on this lineup. It also has an extensive amount of flavor options…including seasonal flavors! Cons: The bar packs in 17 grams of sugar, can be hard to find in some stores, and has only 5 grams of protein, so this bar isn’t the greatest supplement tbh… :/  

6. Kind Bar

This bar serves up 8 grams of soy protein for a clean 200 calories of tasty, gluten-free goodness! The other macros are fair, coming in at 16 grams of carbs and 13 grams of fat. Pros: It’s one of the best-tasting bars on this lineup, in my opinion. If I were judging off of taste alone, this would have been higher! It also only 9 grams of sugar, which is much lower than others on this list and has a huge flavor range. Cons: It has less protein compared to some other bars on this list and can be a bit pricey, depending on the store. Also, the texture can be a little too hard or crunchy sometimes.  

7. Vega Protein Snack Bar

This is another low-calorie option on this list, making it great for anyone who is in the cutting stage of their fitness journey or just looking to watch their calorie intake! It has 180 calories and serves up 10 grams of pea protein. This bar has 21 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fat. Pros: It’s low in calories and relatively high in protein. It’s also a cheaper option on this list. Plus, you can support a small and vegan company!! Cons: The bar has 11 grams of sugar, can be hard to find in some stores, and tastes like a “fitness snack.”  

8. Luna Bar

This is a gluten-free snack that serves 8 grams of soy protein for 200 calories. This bar has 26 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fat. Pros: It has only 8 grams of sugar, which is lower than some on this list. It’s another cheaper option on this lineup. It also has cute flavor names :) Cons: Luna Bars have lots of ingredients. Like other bars on this list, this one uses soy protein, and I know some people aren’t into soy. The flavors tasted really bland and boring to me :/

These are my eight favorite vegan protein bars in order of preference. No matter which bar you choose, you’ll be packing in some serious protein while enjoying some great flavor. Did your favorite vegan protein bar make it on the list? If not, let me know what it is in the comments below! 

Lauren is from Richmond, Virginia. She is majoring in English and planning to pursue a Masters degree in education. She can usually be found reading, volunteering, lifting weights, and/or jamming out to Ariana Grande.