This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Let’s face it: most of us college gals have a hard time waking up in the morning. Whether it’s because you stayed up too late binge-watching Mad Men on Netflix, studied all night for your exam, or just really hate your 8am class, chances are that you’re not going to be happy about that early-morning alarm going off.

With finals week coming up, I know that we’re all trying to utilize our days to the max, attempting to balance studying, working on projects, eating, relaxing, and sleeping. Finals week is usually a week when most of us stay up later than usual but still have to wake up early the next day. I know that this is rough for most of you all.

I happen to be lucky enough to naturally be a morning person (I still don’t like 8ams, though). However, I did still have to work at implementing techniques to make my mornings more enjoyable. Here’s four of my top tips:

Wake up to natural light.

If this is possible and practical for you, you should definitely try this. It’s easy, and it ~awakens~ a natural instinct in you. Here’s how: Check when the sun is supposed to rise the next morning. Leave your window blinds open so the sun can filter in at that time. Hopefully, the increasing brightness will wake you up naturally! I know it does for me. Just in case, set an alarm for at least 20 minutes before you need to be up and ready.

Breakfast and coffee.

There are numerous scientific studies that show the positive effects of consuming breakfast and coffee in the morning, so I won’t elaborate much here. Eating breakfast will keep you full, making you less distracted during your exam. Drinking coffee or another source of caffeine will keep you awake and focused for that test!

Sleep well the night before.

I know, I know. This is a given. But it’s SO important! This is probably the best thing you can do to prep yourself to wake up early in the morning. Even during finals week, try to get to sleep as soon as possible. It’s best for your physical and mental health.

Make mornings fun.

Mornings are the easiest when you plan to do an activity you enjoy. For example, I like to go to the gym in the morning. During finals week, some more time-efficient ideas could be stretching for a few minutes, reading a chapter of a book for pleasure, or doing your makeup.

During finals week, it is SO important to practice healthy sleeping habits. Those are just some of my tips for making mornings more bearable if you’re not a morning person.

Good luck on your finals! You’ve got this!

Lauren is from Richmond, Virginia. She is majoring in English and planning to pursue a Masters degree in education. She can usually be found reading, volunteering, lifting weights, and/or jamming out to Ariana Grande.