This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Self-love can be tricky. You’ve lived with yourself for your entire life, after all. Sometimes having compassion towards yourself is exponentially more difficult than reassuring someone else. If lately you’ve been feeling a little lackluster and want to learn better ways to be kind to yourself, consider starting with social media. Here are a few influencers and businesses that have recently helped me care more about myself:

@dietculturesucks

Naomi is by far one of my favorite influencers on Instagram. She’s open about her past struggles with eating disorders and makes an effort to turn diet culture on its head, all the while promoting self-love and body acceptance. She mainly posts about conscious eating and body image, however even if you’ve never struggled with an eating disorder, there is still so much to get out of her account. She promotes the idea that every body is a good body and that perfection doesn’t really exist, both of which are essential to self-acceptance. I’ve personally been so surprised by how much her weekly posts have helped me recognize my self-judgement.

@shopsundae

Need a little extra positivity in your Instagram feed? This account has the aesthetically pleasing and equally encouraging content to fill that role. Shopsundae is run by Haley Kennedy, Canadian illustrator and self-care advocate. I absolutely love Haley’s account; it consists of colorful, optimistic quotes that push you to question your negative thoughts and limiting beliefs about yourself. Her content really provides a quick pick-me-up if you’re in the midst of mindless Instagram scrolling (something I am especially guilty of). Not to mention, Haley sells adorable prints and pins of her artwork! If you’re looking to start incorporating self-love into your daily routine but don’t have the energy to read a multi-paragraph caption, this account is a perfect place to start. 

@werenotreallystrangers

A big part of self-care is making meaningful connections with others. Yeah, getting to know yourself through self-introspection and solo dates is also important, but I think it’s easy to forget that the way we interact with others plays a big role in how we treat ourselves. @werenotreallystrangers drives this point home; Koreen, the owner of the account, not only posts short quotes like @shopsundae, but she also promotes her “We’re Not Really Strangers” card game. I don’t think I can stress this enough: I. Love. This. Card. Game. The game consists of three levels, each varying in intensity. The cards for each level have questions on them like “when is the last time you felt lucky to be you?” and “are you lying to yourself about anything?” and the purpose of answering these questions is to learn more about yourself and the people you’re playing with. To top things off, Koreen will occasionally post Instagram story polls that require you to analyze your headspace, which can be great if you catch yourself in cycles of disassociation. 

@we.definebeauty

@we.definebeauty will provide you with all the body positivity and diversity you’ll ever need. This account posts the photos and stories of people who have struggled with self-love in the past but are learning to love their appearance and personality regardless. I love this concept because it’s kind of like an oxymoron; by focusing on radical self-acceptance, this account beautifully clashes with the high standards and “perfect” façade associated with having an Instagram account. It encourages open-mindedness and reframes your idea of what beauty can be. I also like @we.definebeauty because it highlights that everyone has something they’re worried about in life, which is relieving and tends to make me feel more accepting of myself and less alone.

@selfcareisapriority

If the name doesn’t already convey it, @selfcareisapriority emphasizes treating yourself well! It’s mainly centered around anxiety and ways to proactively put your mental health first. I especially like to focus on the self-care techniques their posts provide since they motivate me to take time for myself. It can sometimes be overwhelming to do little things like take a walk or check in on your emotions, but reminders in your Instagram feed can help to make these activities more of a staple in your routine. Also, the artwork that is featured in their posts is all pastel, which I find to be super calming.

Although these are just a few instagram accounts, they can provide a great foundation to help keep your social media experience a positive and healthy one! I’ve also noticed that after following just a few positive accounts, more seem to find their way to you, so just trust the process and stay optimistic.

Sierra is a 2023 alumna and former president of the Her Campus at Christopher Newport University chapter. She primarily covers topics surrounding mental health and personal growth, sometimes dabbling in the analysis of cultural trends and fashion, as well. Sierra received a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Childhood Studies, and is currently working towards completing her Master’s in Speech-Language Pathology. In addition to writing for Her Campus, her work has also been featured in The Cupola, CNU’s undergraduate research journal. In her free time, Sierra loves thrift shopping, going on Target runs, and caring for her many plants.