absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Tried & Failed to Make Pinterest Halloween Cupcakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

I decided to jump onto the bandwagon of recreating Pinterest recipes. They look so easy, right? Well, that’s what they want you to think!

Since Halloween’s coming up, I thought making an easy Halloween themed dessert would be a fun party idea. After searching around on Pinterest for a while, procrastinating my homework, I found cupcakes that looked like mini-brains from Better Homes & Gardens. There was a video tutorial and everything, and it seemed easy enough.

Instead of making my own icing like they did in the original recipe, I bought the Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Strawberry Frosting instead. I also didn’t have the fancy center cutter that was shown in the video, so I just eye-balled it with a knife, which surprisingly turned out quite well. Everything else I followed according to the original recipe.

Now on the frustrating part: the brain design. In the video, you can see that all they do is do a layer of icing on top, followed by two straight lines down the middle with some squiggly lines on the side.

Simple!

Not simple.

I spent almost half an hour trying to perfect those squiggles. And this is the final/best result I got…

I repeat…not simple.

However, not all was lost. I just decided to save that cupcake for me to eat, because a baker has to try their desserts before giving them to others, right? That’s definitely the number one bakers rule. As for the other cupcakes, I decided to put a layer of icing on the rest of them and take Hershey’s Strawberry Syrup and just kind of threw it on the top of the cupcakes.

Although I was upset that I couldn’t master the squiggly lines, I’m proud of how my blood spatter cupcakes turned out. What mattered by the end of the day is that they were very delicious!

Neala Kelly

Clemson '22

Have a great day!
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).