How to Make a New Year’s Resolution You’ll Actually Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Everyone knows that typical New Year’s Resolutions last for about two weeks before we give up because it’s too difficult to continue with a new way of life. Here are some tips to keep in mind when making a successful resolution!

It takes, on average, 66 days to create a new habit.

According to James Clear, it takes anywhere between 18 to 254 days to form a new habit, but on average, it takes 2 months. So, if you can continue the resolution until March, odds are that you’re gonna make it!

Don’t overdo it.

A lot of people try to overshoot and create a resolution that’s way out of reach. You need to make sure it is something you can achieve. Keep in mind that, if you meet your goal early, you can make another goal. It also feels amazing to reach your goals and would motivate you to keep going.

Make it public.

Tell your friends so they can help encourage you to keep going when you feel like giving up.

Write your goals down.

If you write them down, you will be able to remember your goals better. If you hang them up, you can see your goals every day as a daily reminder.

Hold yourself accountable.

This is the most important step in my opinion! If you don’t hold yourself accountable, it won’t get done. You can’t get anything done if you don’t push yourself and force yourself to do it when you really don’t want to.

If you follow these steps, accomplishing your goals will be much easier. Good luck!

I am a student at Clemson University with a major in Marketing and minor is Psychology. I am from Greenville, SC and in my free time I enjoy new adventures and hanging out with my friends and family.
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).