5 Ways to De-Stress This Semester

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

In honor of the fabulous #HCSurvivalKits our Her Campus Clemson chapter has received, we thought we would share our favorite ways to de-stress during the semester especially with our new goodies from Her Campus’s sponsors! We are halfway through the semester, and our stamina is beginning to run low in the academic area. After weeks of hitting the textbooks, review sessions, and lectures, we are anxiously awaiting a break. But, who says you can’t create your own break? If you are in need of a study break, Her Campus Clemson has got you covered!

1. Hit the Gym

Nothing quite clears your mind like a good workout at the gym. As Elle Woods said, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.” And she’s right! So step away from your notes and head over to Fike. It’s a great stress reliever, and it’ll refresh your mind when you get back to studying.

Just make sure you bring your water bottle with you to the gym! You want to make sure that you replenish the water that you sweat off from a killer workout. Invest in a good water bottle that can endure your gym trips and workouts. We love our Camelbak water bottles that keep our water cold and that fit into the exercise bikes at the gym!

2. Enjoy a Spa Day

Studying is mentally and physically exhausting. Your body can take the toll for your late night cram sessions and constant stress over class. To fix this, why not treat yourself to an at-dorm/at-apartment spa hour! Take a hot shower, give yourself a manicure/pedicure, apply a facial. Your body and mind will thank you for pampering it, and you’ll be able to lessen your stress if you just step away for a few minutes.

3. Get Dressed Up

One of my good friends once told me “Dress well, test well.” And I believe it! When you look your best, you’ll feel your best. When you get dressed up, your whole demeanor changes. You walk taller, hold your head higher, and you can think clearer because you feel in control! If you are a girl who loves and feels her best in makeup, don’t skip it the morning of an exam! Spend 5 quick minutes to apply your foundation, eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss. You will walk in to your testing room with confidence knowing you are about to ace your exam!

4. Read a Good Book

One can only read a textbook for so long. Sometimes you need to break out a fun magazine, comic, or book to relax. Cooper Library isn’t just a place to study. If you go down to the 3rd floor, you can find hundreds of young adult novels. Or look through the library directory online to find a particular book or author of interest. If you’re in need of some light humor, we suggest Sarah Anderson’s Adulthood is a Myth. She provides some comic relief into this “adulting” thing we all hear about.

5. Go on an Adventure

After 5 long days of classes and labs, college students are graced with two whole free days: the weekend. It is built into your schedule for a reason, and you need to use it! Between studying for your next exam and writing that lab report, you need to de-stress. Here at Clemson, we are blessed with hundreds of potential de-stressing adventures to partake in, and many of which force you to enjoy the great outdoors. Check out some hiking trails, go to Y-beach, take a day-trip to Greenville; the possibilities are endless!

With all those adventures, we want to make sure you stay safe! We recently found Wearsafe, a small, portable tag that connects you to family and friends at the push of a button. It prevents you from having to use your phone in case of danger, and it connects you via GPS to the app and can dial 911. It also captures audio from the scene! Honestly, as college students it can make you feel safer not only while traveling, but also while walking back from the library late at night. It gives you a little piece of mind as you de-stress from school. Definitely college student-approved!

Her Campus Clemson doesn’t just want to talk about these ways to de-stress, we want to help you do them! We are giving away the goodies mentioned during this article on our Instagram account this week. Follow us on Instagram @hcclemson to learn about and to enter our contest. Contest ends 11:59 PM on Saturday, October 15. Good Luck and Happy De-Stressing!

Thank you to Her Campus’ sponsors: 

Andrew McMeel Publishing for Adulthood is a Myth and The Roommate Book (@AndrewsMcMeel, @sarahandersoncomics, @beckymsimps)

Camelbak (@camelbak)

The Diva Cup (@TheDivaCup)

Flying Colors Apparel (@flyingcolorsapparel)

Freeman Beauty (@freemanbeauty)

Juicy Couture (@JuicyCouture)

L’eggs (@leggsbrand)

Maidenform (@maidenform)

Monistat

Rimmel London (@RimmelLondonUS)

Wearsafe (@wearsafelabs)

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19