danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Everyone knows that junior year of college for most means internships. A chance to jump into the real world, and gain work experience. And, while some people find them easily, other’s find the process to be more difficult. But, in the end, it’s one of the best opportunities to take advantage at while in college. For me, it was an experience of a lifetime.

It was the start of my junior year, and I knew I would have to go through the process of finding an internship. I started my journey early, by searching as early as Christmas break. At the beginning, I started by figuring out what types of internships I was interested in. I knew three things. First, I wanted to either intern at a video production company or a advertising agency. Next, I wanted to incorporate social media,writing, and my videography skills. Finally, I decided on the states I was interested in. I knew I wanted to challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone. So, I ultimately decided on two states to apply to other then Pennsylvania, which were North Carolina, and Florida.

Everyday I would make it a goal for myself to apply to at least five different internships. During the application process, I would edit my resume, and write multiple cover letters in hopes of getting an interview or an offer. In total, I applied to over seventy internships by beginning of April. By the middle of the month, I got five offers. Each of them different from the other. By the end I was offered to work remotely as a social media coordinator for a local podcast in West Palm Beach Florida. Naturally, I decided to take it. My dreams of leaving Pennsylvania, and experiencing a whole new environment was coming true!

A few weeks later, I packed up my bags and drove to West Palm Beach, Florida. It was one of the most beautiful places I had ever seen. It had it all. Palm trees with bright, twinkling lights lining the streets, the aroma of sea salt filling the air, and the warm, radiating sun dancing on the water. A paradise in itself. 

A week later, I officially started my internship. During my internship, I reconstructed all social media platforms, and created an additional medium, instagram. I also scheduled out posts, created advertising, took care of crisis situations, and helped with guests on the show. That following week, I was offered another internship as a Digital Marketing Intern with growing Digital Marketing Agency, Digital Resource.

During my time at Digital Resource, I contributed to their social media posts, blogs, and got the opportunity to work alongside the multimedia specialists, Emily. I worked on various projects, which included writing scripts, filming, editing video content, as well as various photography shoots. All the while, I got to showcase my talent and creative abilities. 

After almost eight weeks at both my internships, I had gained experiences of a lifetime while exploring the gorgeous southern peninsula of Florida. And, not only do I have a potential job offer for after graduation, but, I also learned where I wanted too move to after college. In all, I could not be more thankful for my entire experience, the individuals I met, and all the knowledge I gained from it.

And for all of you who are looking for internships, remember these couple of things. Start your journey of finding an internship early, make a killer resume and cover letter, be confident in all of your interviews, always be open to different opportunities, be patient, and go out of your comfort zone. If you do these, I promise you that your internship experience will not only be positive, but promising! 

Hello, I am Lyndsey Kujawa I am currently a Senior at Clarion University of Pennsylvania majoring in Communication Digital Media, with a minor in Sociology. Throughout my time at Clarion University, I have served many leadership positions, including Outreach Director, Field News Producer, News Director, and Executive TV producer for Clarion's department of Communication. In addition, I have also served as PR/Social Media coordinator for University Activities Board, PR/Social media Coordinator/executive board member for the American Advertising Club, writer for Her Campus, Sociology Club committee member, and "Love her Melon chapter at Clarion University. After college, I hope to pursue a career in becoming a television producer or a career in producing commercial and advertising content for an integrated PR Agency.