Spring Fever has Taken Over and It’s Not Even Warm Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Is it possible for underclassman to get Senioritis? If not, then diagnose me with Spring Fever. I have reached my study capacity and I want to go outside and play (drink). Of course that’s not very ideal when it still snows once a week and finals are coming up. But I need an official break and copious amounts of drinking. Panama City Beach for Spring Break didn’t exactly provide that. In fact, I needed a vacation from my vacation.

If you’re like me, once it hits Darty season, all responsibilities go out the window. I put down my books and act like it’s already summer vacation. For lots of college students, there is no summer vacation because of summer classes. So how/when do we get our break in? Well, the answer (my answer) is Darty Season!This is the best season of the year and based on the amount of people I see playing pong on their porches every time it gets above 60 degrees, I’m not the only one who knows this. Darty season is about blasting country music while you play flip cup. It’s about finally getting to wear your jersey and jean cut-offs. It’s about outdoor Jimmy Buffett concerts, where the whole city turns into Margaritaville. These are the days I live for; these are the days that make college so much fun.

What other time in your life will you think of drinking as an extracurricular activity? Just like kids go out and play after school, we go out and drink. On Friday afternoons. On Saturday mornings.  We’re always the first ones up and a Natty Lite is the first thing down. There’s nothing wrong with embracing it. We only have four years to celebrate.Now that I’m watching all of my friends graduate, I’ve realized how short our time is here. We can’t take our college years for granted, because nothing will ever be the same. Of course, it’s good to be responsible. There’s nothing better than a work-hard, play-hard attitude. But that means you actually have to play hard, too.

I’m definitely guilty of working myself so hard throughout the week, that by the time it gets to the weekend, I just want to open a bottle of wine and fall asleep on my couch. I have to stop doing this, because it’s turning me into an adult … and you’re not an adult until you graduate. I need to make myself go out and enjoy the activities that won’t be available to me after college. I need to embrace Darty season.

College is about school and grades. We all know that. But it’s also about making memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. Don’t take college too seriously, or you’ll miss out on all of the good stuff. You will never be this young and fun ever again, so make the most of it and go darty your asses off.

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.