Pinterest Test: Healthy Mac and Cheese

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

In the coming weeks, I’ll be testing out different things that I find on Pinterest such as recipes, beauty hacks, cleaning hacks, etc.  So if you have any suggestions or want me to test something out so you don’t have to, just leave a comment at the bottom of this, or any future Pinterest Test articles.

As a college student, we all know how hard it is to eat healthy; especially with all the dining hall foods, and the easiness of packaged foods.  And between school, work, and hanging out with friends, it becomes increasingly difficult to get to the gym.  Which is why this week, I decided to test out a healthy recipe of one of my favorite foods: mac and cheese!

The recipe I used came from a food blogger called Chocolate Covered Katie (for the pin, click here).  One of the reasons I chose this recipe is because it only required a few ingredients and the directions were so simple.  Just for reference, here’s what hers ended up looking like.

I started out by boiling water with a pinch of salt, and olive oil (so the shells don’t stick together).

I then added the macaroni shells (I used whole wheat for an added nutritional benefit) and cooked them until they were al dente (about 6-7 minutes).

Then I drained them, and poured them back in the pot.

Next, I got started on the cheese sauce by mixing all the ingredients (I used skim milk, skim shredded mozzarella cheese, and plain non-fat Greek yogurt) in a separate pot according to the directions.

After that, I poured the sauce all over the macaroni shells and mixed them all together until they were well incorporated.

And, Voila!

Although mine didn’t turn out quiet as pretty as hers, I must say this recipe turned out to be really good!  I could hardly tell the difference between this healthy homemade mac and cheese and a store-bought white cheese mac and cheese.  I was really impressed!