5 Ways to Actually Get Yourself in That Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.
Although it seems almost unbearable to wake up at 6 AM to hit the gym and somehow make it to school by 8:30, it is not impossible. Abide by these tips and tricks to motivate yourself to get your sweat on!

1. Wear Gym Clothes
Whether you’re going to school, the store, or your friend’s house, throw on some Lulus and running shoes, pull your hair up, and set yourself up for a trip to the gym. When you’re already in workout clothes, it only reduces your many reasons to NOT go by eliminating the excuse that you’re “in a cute outfit” or “having a good hair day.” Your butt looks good in those leggings anyways. 

2. Get Yourself a Gym Buddy
Having someone to go to the gym with has a huge influence on your accountability. Not only do you have someone to push you physically and mentally during your workout, you also have a reason to actually show up on time. And after, you’ll have someone to grab some good grub with. 

3. Create a Schedule 
Planning out your day is an important step when your plate is full of commitments. Make exercise one of those obligations. Jot it down in your planner or calendar, or even set a reminder on your phone. Half the work is making the effort to set aside that time for yourself. Working out is for you-you can always find some “you” time!

4. Make it Fun
Do something different than the basic elliptical and lackluster bicycle. Take a spin class, sweat out EVERYTHING in hot yoga, or go for a jog on the beach. The everyday workout life can get a bit monogamous-you’ve gotta spice it up every once in a while! 

5. Set Goals and Record Your Progress
Seeing results and loving the way you feel will never fail to get you off your couch and stop watching Gossip Girl. Take a picture, write down your weight loss goals, record all your workouts per week, or set your best mile time. Keep up with your progress and be proud of what you’ve accomplished. This can only inspire you to do more.

The saying is true: 80% of success is just showing up to the gym. Once you get there, you’re there. And with these 5 tricks, you’ll be sure to get there and stay. Happy sweating!