This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

While moving away from home for the first time and onto a college campus is both exciting and liberating for many collegiettes, sometimes we get so caught up in planning our dorm rooms and worrying about how to navigate our first frat party that the bigger things, things your parents usually worried about for you, can fall by the wayside. Unfortunately for many college women, health concerns take a backseat for the four years they live at school, sometimes with dangerous consequences. Luckily, UNC has an incredibly comprehensive campus health program, which many students don’t take full advantage or are simply not aware of. We’re here to break it all down for you so you’re not stuck wondering what to do or where to go when you need it most.

1. Campus Health ServicesWhile you probably have seen or know about the Campus Health Services building located behind Kenan Stadium and near the South Campus dorms, you may be reluctant to just walk in and ask for an appointment or talk about your health concerns. However, they are very understanding and will help you get to the appropriate department or fill out the right paperwork. Your insurance should cover most of the services available here, except for exceptions listed on their website, such as after hours care or allergy shots. This is the place to go if you need a check-up or if you have the flu, and everything in between- just like a regular doctor’s office at home. There is a pharmacy located right downstairs from the medical areas so you can pick up whatever medications they might prescribe you.

Not only is it super conveniently located on campus when you’re sick and don’t want to drive anywhere, many of its services are available online. You can make an appointment online or check lab test results through your Healthy Heels Portal, and even chat online with a nurse practitioner if you have a health concern that you aren’t sure merits a visit to the clinic itself.

2. NutritionThe nutrition services at campus health are an often-overlooked resource. To get one-on-one time with a dietician would cost big bucks in the real world, but here at UNC the cost is covered by our student fees. If all the late night chips and queso have been leaving you feeling blah and eating a balanced meal has been lost on you since you left home, make an appointment with a registered dietitian or nutrition graduate student to get back on track. Whether you want to lose weight, have more energy, or just eat healthier, they can work with you to create a personalized nutrition plan. In addition, student athletes or any active student that wants to create a diet plan to maximize their athletic performance can make an appointment with one of UNC’s two sports nutritionists.

A clinical nutrition specialist can also offer more medically-based nutrition therapy, including help with high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, type I and type II diabetes, obesity and morbid obesity, eating disorders, food allergy and/or sensitivity education, preconception and prenatal nutrition counseling, and vegetarian and vegan diet resources.

3. Personal Training and Physical TherapyYou might be familiar with the two on-campus gyms, but there is so much more to take advantage of behind the scenes. For only $20, you can get a personal fitness assessment (which measures your resting heart rate, blood pressure, height and weight, body composition, flexibility, muscular strength and endurance, and a sub-maximal VO2 bike test) and a personalized exercise plan based on your goals. For $125, you can get five personal training sessions along with your personal fitness assessment. If you and a friend have similar fitness goals, you can sign up for partner training and get five sessions for only $100. A personal trainer is great for when you need on-on-one coaching, whether you’re a gym pro and want to take your workout to the next level or just need help getting started!

UNC also has a physical therapy and athletic training clinic located in the basement of Campus Health Services, with most physical therapy visits covered by the Campus Health Fee and therefore free of charge. You can be tested for a variety of issues, and given a comprehensive rehabilitation plan by a licensed athletic trainer and/or physical therapist. To get an appointment, you need to bring a referral from a physician giving you clearance to be treated in the clinic.

4. Mental HealthMany more college students than you probably think are dealing with mental health issues like depression, eating disorders, and anxiety. If you feel like you need to talk to someone or be evaluated by a mental health professional, UNC has no shortage of resources at your disposal. Walk-in, first time appointments are available anytime  9am-12:00pm or 1pm-4pm, Monday through Friday. After your initial visit with a therapist, you have the options of continuing with individual therapy, group therapy, couples therapy, psychiatric medication evaluation, or academic intervention such as permission to underload or withdrawal from the semester.

5. Women’s HealthWhile you might be more independent in college than ever before, that freedom comes with its own set of challenges. For people that would not be able to talk to their parents about getting tested for sexually transmitted diseases, getting on birth control, or other gynecological issues, the women’s health department, located on the third floor Campus Health Services, can give you peace of mind and better health while being covered by your campus health fees. Staffed by a certified OB/GYN and two nurse practitioners, you have access to both preventative and problem care. According to their website, a typical appointment might cover such areas as pelvic exams, breast exams, colonoscopy, vaginal infections, UTI’s, and menstrual cycle concerns.

Services offered include a well woman’s visit, pap smear, STD/STI testing, getting prescription contraception, and pregnancy planning and services. It can be hard to talk to a doctor or even your friends about sensitive issues like STD’s and where to get emergency contraception, but not knowing about these services is even worse. At the Campus Health Pharmacy, you can get Plan B without an appointment or prescription, and completely anonymously via a slip that you hand to the pharmacy technician with the desired type checked off. The request slips are located right outside the window and available to anyone.

If you want to get on birth control but are overwhelmed by the sheer amount of options available or confused as to how to begin the process, make an appointment with a Sexual Wellness Specialist to talk through your options and get all your questions answered in person.  If you have an existing birth control prescription from an outside provider, you can also bring it to the pharmacy to check your insurance coverage and arrange to have it filled there.

Taking charge of your health is one of the best things you can do for yourself as a college woman, and at UNC there’s no reason to ignore any health concerns you might have. Simply educating yourself on all the resources available to you is a huge step in the right direction!

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.