Wellness

#TurkeyTalk: Use Thanksgiving Break to Actually Take a Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Greetings, fellow stressed out college gals!

‘Tis the season for sweaters, football (if you’re into that sort of thing) and hellish amounts of work to be done. Within a matter of days, most of us will be feasting on turkey, side dishes that are objectively better than said turkey and, most importantly, some form of pie, but I also suspect we will be doing something a bit more sinister… stressing out!

I know, I know; I’m guilty of it too. But when the stars align, or rather, when a holiday break aligns with the craziest part of the semester, we just can’t help spending another hour or two cramming! It’s true; I’ve barely started the ten-page paper I have due on Monday, and I’d be lying if I said a significant portion of my Thanksgiving won’t be spent trying to prepare for finals, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that we need to remind ourselves to take a breather, every now and then.

I understand how much easier said than done that is. I’m naturally a very anxious person (my dad has endearingly referred to me as a “worry worm”), and there is no exception, when it comes to my academics. Since I was but a wee lass, I have spent my nights struggling to fall asleep, usually a result of worrying over all the schoolwork I still hadn’t finished and the additional work that would come in the following days. I’ve also been planning sweet, sweet revenge on every teacher that has been heartless enough to assign homework over a school break (this is a joke; please don’t sue me).

But seriously, relax when you can. If you’re stuck on something and have just been staring at the same problem for half an hour, hop up and walk around. Go pet your dog, go hug your grandma, go sneak another handful of Chex mix, even though your mom’s told you three times now to save your appetite. Taking a step back might be what you need to get through the rest of your work.

If you celebrate Thanksgiving by having dinner with friends and/or family, try to keep your work away from the table. Multitasking is not effective, and eating while you work will make both your meal and your assignment mediocre (plus, everyone else at the table might not appreciate that you’re ignoring them). Eat your food, chill while you let your stomach set and then get back to what you need to do. It’s okay to take a break from working, especially if it’s something your body literally needs you to do, such as take in nutrients.

Is the table talk getting a little stressful? Yes, I am in part referring to the inevitable political discussions that, for some reason, always come up at family meals. While I am all for speaking your mind, don’t pressure yourself to get involved in the debate if you’re already tense. It might not be worth you losing your head over a distant relative’s backhand remark, and taking care of your mental health includes not putting yourself in situations you know are toxic. You’ve had a long week, and you have no time for that kind of negativity in your life, so finish that crescent roll and put so-and-so’s rampant nastiness to the side, at least until you get those assignments submitted.

My last piece of advice is to try to make a schedule for yourself. I can’t say that I’m super adept with planning, but as I find myself with a growing stack of papers to finish, I’ve realized that it is useful to set baby-sized goals for myself. For instance, I need to write this many pages of this paper each day for the next three days, then complete the readings for this other class, then turn in that online response. It might seem obvious, but if you’re anything like me, you’re pretty frazzled right about now, and you aren’t exactly in an organizational state of mind.

All in all, I hope these tips help at least a little in alleviating the seasonal chaos. May this article find you full, happy and a few steps closer to winter break!

Emily Stellman

Chapel Hill '21

Emily is an aspiring author that studies English and Comparative Literature at UNC. She is also minoring in History and hopes to one day become a lawyer or work in a museum. Her interests include music, doting on her pets and all things Disney!