#TurkeyTalk: 9 Budget-Friendly Friendsgiving Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, namely because it means eating a bunch of delicious home-cooked dishes. However, Thanksgiving season also means various potluck events, and I know that I’m always struggling to come up with things to make from my very limited cooking repertoire, so I did a little research to find some cheap, easy and delicious recipes.

Here’s a list of the top nine budget-friendly recipes I found for your next Friendsgiving event, divided into three courses: appetizers, side dishes and desserts!

Appetizers

1. Cheesy Crescent Roll Leaves

Photo credit: Hungry Happenings

Not only are these easy to make, but they’re pretty too! This recipe could be served as an appetizer or as a regular side dish, adding a touch of autumn beauty to your Friendsgiving spread with tasty, cheesy rolls that look just like fall leaves.

All you need is store-bought crescent roll dough, leaf-shaped cookie cutters and some kitchen staples to perfect this recipe!

2. Tofu Bites

Photo credit: Karry Hosford

I wanted to include some plant-based options as well for any vegetarian and vegan friends. However, these tofu bites are an appetizer that everyone will love. Tofu dishes may intimidate those who aren’t super familiar with cooking them, but this recipe provides step-by-step instructions that are beginner-friendly! The recipe also only calls for a handful of simple ingredients that you can find at pretty much any local grocery store.

3. Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce

Photo credit: Faith Durand

This is another aesthetically pleasing appetizer to spruce up any insta-ready Friendsgiving table. But, at the end of the day, what really matters is how it tastes. This appetizer is both beautiful and tasty, with tangy cranberry sauce over a soft baked brie.

Side Dishes

4. Fall Greens and Pear Salad

Photo credit: Romulo Yanes, styling by Claire Spollen

Now, as a proud carb lover, I admit that one of the reasons I look forward to Thanksgiving is all the carb-loaded dishes. However, a salad can be a great respite from all those heavy options, especially when the salad is as good as this one! This fall greens and pear salad adds some greens to the table and captures multiple beloved autumn tastes in one dish.

5. Fluffy Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes

Photo credit: Budget Bytes

Mashed potatoes are a Thanksgiving staple; however, these potatoes are anything but basic. These fluffy garlic herb mashed potatoes are delicious, and they won’t break your budget at just $0.34 per serving (and $2.05 in total). 

6. Vegan Corn Bread

Photo credit: Lovingitvegan

This vegan version of a classic Thanksgiving comfort food is sure to satisfy all of your attendees! You can make this recipe into a cornbread loaf, squares or individual muffins. Also, the recipe includes a FAQ section near the end for anyone who is new to vegan baking!

Desserts

7. Mini Dark Chocolate Pecan Pies

Photo credit: Budget Bytes

These mini dark chocolate pecan pies are perfect individual desserts to make for a Friendsgiving gathering! Budget Bytes lists the total cost of the recipe as $5.23, making this a great budget-friendly dessert option.

8. Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse

Photo credit: Budget Bytes

One of my favorite parts of fall is all the pumpkin-flavored seasonal foods that come out, such as pumpkin spice cereals, lattes and now, this mousse! I’m also a huge fan of cheesecake, so this recipe is a Friendsgiving dream come true for me. This fluffy mousse is cheap and easy to make, and it pairs great with cinnamon and sugar pita chips (I recommend the brand Stacy’s).

9. Chocolate Peanut Butter Acorns

Photo credit: Kat Teutsch, styling by Jerrie-Joy for Pat Bates and Associates

This is possibly the cutest recipe on this list! These mini acorns, made from Hershey’s kisses and Nutter Butter bites, are easy (and fun!) to make. The recipe only calls for a few ingredients that are budget-friendly and easy to find in any local grocery store. These chocolate peanut butter acorns are certain to please all your friends at your upcoming Friendsgiving gathering!

Madison Prentice

Chapel Hill '23

Madison is a first-year from Cary, North Carolina. She's an Advertising & Public Relations major with a minor in Spanish for Business. You can find her on Instagram at @mcprentice or on Twitter at @mcprentice8.