Wellness > Mental Health

Traveling Back to the Past: How Revisiting My Favorite Childhood Books & Games Eases My Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I’ll get straight to it: this semester has been a mess. While I already had a lot on my plate, COVID-19 has shaken up all aspects of my life, and I’m betting it has for you too. Since my work hours have been cut substantially, UNC has moved to online classes and my other responsibilities are in perpetual limbo, I’ve had a lot of free time. As someone who sometimes struggles with anxiety, I’ve found a handful of coping mechanisms that have helped me stay sane, and all of them tie back to a much simpler time, childhood. (Note: I am not a mental health professional, so what works for me might not work for you!)

Over the past couple weeks, I’ve dived head-first into nostalgia. The things that used to entertain me as a kid are now tools that bring comfort and stability to my daily routine.

With everything changing around us, going back to my childhood favorites has been a huge relief. For instance, a couple days ago, I decided to reread the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Back in the day, Percy Jackson was my life. I’m pretty sure Annabeth and Percy were the first couple I shipped, and I may or may not have written my one and only fanfic about the series (I did, and it will never see the light of day). I’m three days in, and I’ve already finished the first two books; it’s been an absolute blast. Not only are the books well-written and gripping in general, they’re also easing my anxiety. When I’m reading about Percy’s adventures and his affinity for blue food, my intrusive thoughts go unheard. Believe it or not, it’s comforting to transport myself into a world where the big bad is Kronos – who plans to end Western civilization and start WW3 – instead of fixating on a deadly virus sweeping the globe. The series provides entertainment and nostalgia, and it’s nice to have a goal (finishing the series), so I feel proactive, even as I stay inside.

In addition to rereading Percy Jackson, I’ve also turned back the sands of time in terms of video games. With the help of my trusty Nintendo Switch Lite, I’ve gotten back into the world of Pokémon! Now, I wouldn’t consider myself a die-hard Pokémon fan, but I sure do have a soft spot for all those little monsters. Back in the day, I spent countless hours attempting to complete my Pokémon Diamond Pokédex. With a handful of relatively new games out for the Switch—Pokémon Sword, Pokémon Shield and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX—I’ve been able to explore a new game and get a taste of the nostalgia I’ve been seeking. As was the case when reading Percy Jackson, my anxiety is eased as my mind focuses in on the task at hand—battling gym leaders and rescuing Pokémon.

All the fundamental changes to our routines and ways of life are nerve-racking, to say the least. Revisiting childhood favorites like Percy Jackson and Pokémon has given me some semblance of normalcy and routine, and I hope you can find something that does the same for you. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a book to read and a game to play!

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.