harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things You Need to Hear This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The semester is starting to wind down. You might be feeling some stress and panic about the amount of work that is piling up or just feeling overwhelmed with it all. Oftentimes, we get caught up in these emotions and forget to take care of ourselves. We allow all of the stress and panic to take over, letting negativity fill our lives. It accumulates as the semester draws on and soon we ignore the signs that we need a mental and emotional break to collect ourselves.

Whatever you’re feeling, just know you are validated. No worry is too small or large. It’s okay to be upset about what’s going on. The best thing for you to do is take a break to breathe. Collect yourself and reevaluate what’s going on.

What’s going on? Just stress over school or other things in your life? Things that might not matter in the next few months, or years, even? Take a break from it. Sit in your room, go out with friends, take a lovely walk and just get away for an hour. It’s okay to take a break to focus on yourself.

It’s okay to struggle. Maybe you’re just having a few off days lately and it’s put a damper on everything. Do something that makes you happy like listening to your favorite band or watching your favorite movie/TV show. I like to pamper myself for an evening. I take an early shower, do a face mask, use lavender lotion, put on comfy AF pajamas, make tea and curl up in bed to watch Moana (aka the BEST movie ever). I don’t think about work or school or anything. I just relax.

Things may not be okay right now, but they will be. You can only be brought down by things if you allow yourself to be. You’re strong; this is not the new normal. It’s okay if you feel this way right now, but it will get better. The most important thing to focus on during this time is yourself. Know your limits and push yourself as far as you feel comfortable. Reach out to friends if you need to; I’m positive they’ll want to make sure you’re okay. Just remember to keep yourself healthy and happy.

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.