self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Ten Little Things You Can Do To Improve Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Stress affects us all differently. For some, it boosts performance. For others, it can cause crippling anxiety. With this in mind, I wanted to develop a short list of activities that have been proven to relieve stress. 

Tidy Your Space

My personal favorite activity to destress is tidying my space and organizing my stuff. Personally, organization helps me focus and keeps me from stressing about where things are, what I have to do or how much time I have to complete a task. Tidying my space helps me to distress, and I hope it can help you too!

Schedule Time For Your Favorite Activities

This one is really important, and I am definitely guilty of not doing this myself. Take time out of your day to do some of your favorite acitivities. Read a book, watch Netflix, or cook a meal as a way to destress. Taking time for yourself during the day is a really easy way to boost your mental health and still have the opportunity to do something you truly enjoy. 

Try Cardio

Increasing your heart rate is a great way to boost your mood. Exercise naturally triggers endorphins that contribute to feelings of happiness. Cardio is the fastest way to increase your heart rate which means it is also the fastest way to boost your mood!

Make a Positivity Jar

Making a positivity jar is an idea I thought of. The concept is to have friends or family members write positive quotes, thoughts, attributes, etc. and put them in a jar. Whenever you are having a bad day, you can read a slip and boost your mood!

Connect With Friends

Connecting with friends can greatly boost your mood. Catching up on the phone or through texts can make you feel so much better. Sometimes, no one is able to understand you as well as a friend who has been in your life for a long time and who you may not have seen for a while. 

Try Yoga or Meditation

Yoga and meditation are excellent ways to practice mindfulness. You can use them as methods to tune out the world and practice physical activity. They are especially beneficial on days where everything seems to be moving too fast. Want to feel calm vibes and reduce stress? Try yoga or meditation!

Munch On Your Favorite Snack

Food is a fantastic way to mend your soul. Grubbing on your favorite snack can boost your mood immensely. Finding time to relax and unwind while nibbling away on chocolate, trail mix or chips can help to boost your endorphins and make you feel less stressed. 

Take Time to Journal

Journaling is a great way to reflect on a particular event, day or week. It helps you process your emotions and record your deepest thoughts. Though it can be painful at times to truly dissect what and why you’re feeling a certain way, reading your thoughts later can help you reflect on the past. Journaling is extremely helpful if you are someone who either doesn’t like, or doesn’t know how, to communicate. 

Find Some New Music (or a Podcast)

Personally, new music helps cheer me up. I love finding new things to listen to! I use music as an escape from reality. On rough days, I go through Spotify, Apple Music or Pandora and find a “Good Vibes” playlist to help uplift my spirits. It has been really helpful for me in the past, and I hope it can help you too!

Go For a Walk

Studies have shown that access to nature reduces anxiety, especially for those who live in urban areas. Since nature may be a critical source of mental relaxation for stressed individuals, going for a short walk is an easy way to boost your mood. Walking alone can even give you some time for self reflection and allow you to separate yourself from any stress-inducers waiting for you back at home. 

I hope these tips have been helpful and that you try a few of them to boost your mood!

Eve Bennett

Chapel Hill '23

I am a current sophomore who writes and edits for Her Campus Chapel Hill.