Seven Tips for Beginning Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

1. Stand in the back… So a) people can’t see how bad you really are and b) you can stare at the people in front of you when you can’t figure out how to move your body the correct way.

2. Always bring a towel Yoga is a workout and you will sweat.

3. There will be farting Get used to it.

4. Don’t be intimidated… by the 80 year old women who are more flexible than you, we all have to start somewhere.

5. They say yoga is for mediation, but I promise the only thing you will be thinking about is getting out of the pose that currently makes you look like a pretzel.

6. Invest in a good pair of leggings – The people behind you will thank you the next time you bend over.

7. Sign up for yoga with friends, because after all, who doesn’t love working out in a group?

Carleigh Barnett is a sophomore at UNC-Chapel Hill and is majoring in Journalism. She specifically hopes to have a career in entertainment Public Relations. From New York to North Carolina, she loves watching TV (especiall dramas that are filled with gossip), staying connected with the world of entertianment and enjoying days filled with Netflix and Sour Patck Kids.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.