Wellness

#SelfCare: There is NOTHING Wrong With Taking a “Me Day”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

There comes the point in every semester when we all need a day just to relax. For me, I think it hits when midterms start piling up, when clubs begin to get frustrating and when work makes me way more tired than it should. 

We all get to that point, but what do we do when it hits? For me, I keep “powering through” and telling myself that it’s okay, that I am most certainly not as stressed as I think I am and that sleep is not as important as people keep telling me it is. However, you can find faults in every single one of those phrases. There is also a lot of stress, a lot of anxiety and a lot of falsity about what exactly constitutes as “powering through”.

What we really need to be doing in these situations is “powering off”.

I say this because there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a “me day”. That’s something I need to start doing more. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a day off, taking a day to yourself and doing whatever you need to do to get back into the swing of things. It’s called self-care. If you reach a point in the semester – or your work or school life – when you just need a break, then there is nothing wrong with taking it.

Take a day to yourself. Go to a spa, get your nails done, sit at home and read a book, do whatever makes you feel better, and for the love of everything good in this world, get some sleep. There is nothing wrong with taking time to take care of yourself. When it comes down to it, you’ll be better for it.

Don’t let yourself fall into the endless cycle of struggles that come with a busy life. Don’t keep telling yourself that you can power through hurdles that you simply shouldn’t have to power through, and if you get tired, don’t be afraid to get some sleep.

Take a “me day,” take a self-care day and, every once in a while, just take a day off. 

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.