Wellness

6 Relaxing Things to Do During the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Every college student should have a few tricks up their sleeves to help them find peace and relax during the school year. We’re finally getting into the swing of things with classes and exams so here are a few things you can do to take a minute and relax when all the stress builds up!

1. Journaling

One thing that I’ve loved doing since I was a kid to escape from reality for a little bit was writing in a journal. Whether it is a journal with a certain theme like the “52 Lists Project” or just a regular old journal, taking a few minutes out of your day to reflect will help put things in perspective and hopefully make you feel a little better.

2. Meditating

While it does sound a little intimidating, meditating is a wildly popular way to de-stress and relax. If you are too intimidated to try on your own, there are a ton of cool apps you can download to lead you through it! “Headspace: Meditation” is a super popular one and actually #9 in apps for health and fitness! Taking 3 minutes out of your day to truly clear your mind can work wonders.

3. Take a bath

If you are lucky enough to have access to a bath at school, there is nothing better than unwinding at the end of the day with a hot bath. I love to light candles and throw in a bath bomb or some bath salts.

4. Read

One of my favorite things to do when I want to forget about all the work I have to do or just escape is read a new book. There is nothing like diving into the world of a new character to help you forget about all your worries and focus on something new.

5. Call a loved one

With the hustle and bustle of the school year, it’s easy to lose touch with loved ones that aren’t at school with you. Just hearing the voice of a loved one always helps calm me down and makes me feel more at home. Talking to someone who knows you better than most people allows you to be fully honest and get things off your chest that you didn’t even know you were holding in.

6.Find a new hobby

Exploring a new interest or passion is a great idea for de-stressing during the school year. If you find something you really like, you can add it to your weekly routine to add some extra happiness in your life. There are also so many organizations for special interests on campus, you can probably find some new friends to do it with you!

If you try any of these out or have any other ideas feel free to leave a comment below! Have a great week and don’t forget to focus on yourself every once in a while!