This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

College makes managing our school schedules stressful, leaving nearly no time for leisure. Moreover, if we do have time, we are either sleeping, doing homework or on our phones. We could all use a bit of a break, am I right? And a little self-care spa day could be just the thing we all need. 

With these trying times, the need for self-care and prioritizing our emotional wellness is HUGE. So here are my five tips for an at-home or dorm self-care spa day.

Diffuser with Essential Oils

Using a diffuser with essential oils is the best way to kick off your self-care spa day. It will give your room or home a heavenly, soothing scent while you enjoy self-care time. There are special essential oils that treat stress, anxiety, depression, tiredness and more. Most of all, these oils are best known for relaxation of the body and the mind, which is just what we all need.

Face Masks with Jade Roller

This one is obvious yet so essential!! Face masks are my absolute favorite and a go-to when I need a fresh breath of air. Face masks are super quick and easy to use; whether you’re using a sheet mask, peel off or rub off, masks come in all different variations. Using a Jade roller to apply the mask and serum inside can also help you feel relaxed, cool and soothed. As a side note, Jade rollers can also be used by themselves, whether it’s used to reduce inflammation and puffiness of the skin or just for a moment of soothing calmness.

Hot Shower with Shower Scrubs

Taking a hot shower can honestly relax me at any point and time. There are plenty of shower scrubs out there; they work like magic to exfoliate, moisturize, and smooth your arms and legs. Not only does a hot shower and scrub include skin-smoothing benefits, as it lets you enjoy the invigorating and satisfying feeling of a massage, but these body scrubs also aid in removing dead skin cells, which helps promote clearer and softer skin.

Robe and Slippers

This combo will complete your at-home spa look. Putting a clean, fresh, soft robe will allow you to feel comfortable and relaxed and adding the slippers is a pure bonus. The robe and slipper’s purpose is self-explanatory — they help the body to stay warm and can prevent you from becoming cold after bathing.

Mini Manicure

While there is no better feeling than having your nails done, at least for me, painting your nails a favorite color and having them looking nice and shiny is an easy way to stay relaxed at home and still look cute. Honestly, there is nothing more fabulous than having a set of gorgeous, glossy and perfectly manicured nails both make you feel good about yourself and give you a quick distraction from the stress that is probably eating you away!

All in all, having a self-care spa day is a great way to either step away from work, your phone or anything else that is stressing you out, or even just have a good time. Additionally, though, remembering to give yourself time to relax and de-stress is a great way to step away from the real world and can definitely help improve your mental health!

Gabby is a sophomore at UNC-Chapel Hill, studying advertising and public relations.