Wellness > Mental Health

My Lucky 7 Tips on Making it Through the Rest of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

We’re about half way through the Fall 2019 semester. Midterms are over and done with, homecoming has come, destroyed all of our bodies, and left, and finals feels like they’re right around the corner.

Chances are you feel drained and S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D O-U-T. Believe me, you are not alone. Below are my seven ways to help you finish out this semester strong.

Breathe!

I know what you’re probably thinking: “Uh, am I not doing that right now?” However, when I say breathe, I mean taking deep, meaningful breaths from your stomach. We have become accustomed to breathing shallowly, meaning breathing from our chests. However, studies have shown that diaphragmatic breathing aids in reducing stress. It’s really simple! Think of something that takes you to a happy place, for me its my childhood play room. Next, take a deep breath in through your nose, and once your lungs are filled, let it out through your mouth. Repeat this as many times as needed, and you’ll be relaxed in no time!

Listen to music

Ah, music: the universal language. Just about everyone has a favorite song that gets their spirits up. Whether it be slow R&B jams, up tempo rock or pop, or even rap that makes you feel like a baddie, put it on, boo! Some people prefer to listen to music in their headphones, and others like to blast it on their speakers. I suggest locking yourself up in your room and listening to your fave playlist on full blast (be courteous if you have roommates of course). Also, if you don’t have a playlist to listen to, here’s one of my favorites created by Youtuber TERRELL that always gets me up and dancing.

Indulge in deliciousness

I don’t know about you, but I love to eat. Being from the south, comfort food was always a big thing in my culture. Now, I understand some of us are in the process of getting our spring break bodies snatched, but hear me out, one cheat meal never hurt nobody! Go grab, or cook, your favorite meal, and just indulge girl. The gym can wait until tomorrow!

Get away

I know some people may not be able to go back home. Whether that be because of distance or financial reasons, but if you can, go! A lot of college students get homesick, especially their freshman year, so if you can, plan out a weekend to go back. Complete all of your assignments and responsibilities before leaving so when you get there, all you have to focus on is your mental health. I know I could use a home cooked meal, bubble bath, and any bed bigger than this twin xl right about now. Also, with Thanksgiving coming up, you have the perfect excuse to just get away from everything school related.

Sleep with scents

When I bought my diffuser last year it was a life saver. Each one of my essential oils serves a purpose depending on what task I’m doing. Lavender, however, is strictly reserved for sleeping. If I’m ever feeling down, I make sure to end my day with a nice hot shower and a good night’s sleep with my lavender oil. Trust me, you’ll fall asleep in minutes and wake up in the morning feeling like a new person. Here’s a link to where I got my diffuser as well as my oils.

Treat yourself

Retail therapy is one of my go-to ways to make me happy. Of course, you don’t have to go on a full fledged shopping spree, just one purchase will do. For me, it can be anything small like my favorite $2 lip gloss from the beauty supply, or a pair of shoes I’ve been eyeing for awhile. Just take some time out of your day to do something special for yourself. When that lip gloss gets to poppin’, no Lil Mama, you’ll be thanking me later.

Get out, or stay in, with friends

I don’t know how I would have made it through some of things I’ve gone through without the company of my friends. I could be in the worst mood ever, but as soon as my friends come around, somehow a smile always starts to form. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m not a party person, so I like to do other things. For example, there’s nothing better than going to see a comedy movie with your friends. You’ll need stitches by the end of the night! Of course, you don’t even have to leave the room! Fire up some Netflix, grab some snacks, and just enjoy each other’s company. You don’t just have to watch movies either! Do whatever makes you happy.

Now, please understand that all of these suggestions only provide temporary comfort. At the end of the day, if you’re feeling extremely overwhelmed, look into your campus’ counseling services. And, if you ever have any suicidal thoughts, here are numbers to free and anonymous suicide hotlines:

• 1-800-273-8255: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

• 877-870-4673: Samaritans Hope

• Text HOME to 741741: Crisis Text Line (this is a text message line)

The tenacious Arianna Johnson is a junior mass media arts major with a concentration in journalism and a minor in political science at thee illustrious Clark Atlanta University. She's from the place where bigger is better: Dallas, Texas. This means that her love for BBQ is almost as big as her love for her state! She enjoys writing, shopping, makeup and here recently, doing nails. She hopes to one day write for CNN, Teen Vogue, Essence and more. If you're looking for sarcasm, political commentary, Black girl struggles, all things beauty and everything in between, then she's your girl!