This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Self-care is the best care. Our lives are busier these days and inevitably, our personal needs take a backseat to the demands of the world. No more excuses. No more procrastinating. You need to make relaxation a required activity. Doing so can change your mindset, transform your outlook and help to restore your inner peace.

Self-care is no longer negotiable. Engage in a few of these ideas weekly to achieve a renewed sense of self and relaxation.

Write a gratitude list
Take the time to sit down and write down the things you are thankful for. It’s way too easy to get caught in the midst of turmoil and not live in the moment, remembering that you may have asked for this.

Go for an early morning walk
It may sound crazy, but early morning walks can be the key to a successful day. Set the tone for the day by walking and getting your thoughts together, instead of waking up an hour before you are supposed to be working and take your time to gather your thoughts.

Make a new playlist
For many, music is peace. It brings joy and relaxation. If music is where you are able to feel that sense of peace, make a new playlist. Shift some songs around, add music that reminds you of those care-free moments.

Take a 24- hour social media fast
In a world where social media manager is a career, it is literally consuming our lives as a society. Everything is digital these days, log off for a day. Just like Nickelodeon’s Worldwide Day of Play, take that moment to go to your favorite bookstore, go get lunch or schedule a spa day. Literally, put the phone down!

Go to bed an hour early
As you get older, those late nights just don’t do it. Especially if that 8 or 9 a.m. is creeping up. Try to get to bed at least by midnight to enjoy a full 7 to 8 hours of rest.

Journal
Journaling is very popular but that’s good! If you can’t express your thoughts and feelings or talk to yourself, what can you do? Journaling allows you to center your thoughts and set your intentions for the day. Try writing down: how did you feel after waking up this morning? What are you looking forward to today? What does your schedule for the day look like and how can you insert a time for rest in between?

These tips are a start to exploring self-care. They are just to open the door to helping you understand what personal self-care looks like to you. While these tips are common, they are popular for a reason! Try at least one per week and begin to mold your idea of self-care.

I am Jalondra Jackson, a multiform arts and culture writer, curator and enthusiast. Currently, I am a Junior studying Journalism and Business Administration at Clark Atlanta University. My portfolio is influenced by the ever-shifting industry of art and the underrepresented areas in the arts. I began this journey by serving as a content writer for Her Campus CAU and my university’s newspaper, The CAU Panther.