self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Mental health is a huge topic of discussion for many people now. This year alone has tested the mental health of the entire world. Racial injustice, presidential elections, and quarantine have been huge topics challenging our minds. Aside from these issues, life on a daily can be challenging by itself. Mental health seems like such a taboo, but it must be discussed. Here are is a list of 10 tips to help upkeep your mental health during this time. 

1. Identify stressors. It is very important to recognize what makes the mind feel uneasy. This is important so that the issue can be fixed or eased. Once the stressors are recognized, the process of healing can become a lot better. 

2. Find an enjoyable hobby. Finding things to do that keep the mind occupied can contribute greatly to alleviating stress. An idol mind is a mind wasted. For example, during quarantine, my mental health declined greatly. Going from being busy every day to being stagnant frightened me; however, once I began occupying myself it made a world of difference. Pick up a new hobby, binge a new show, or even try yoga. There is something for everyone.

3. Get it out. No matter the outlet, getting your feelings out. Writing, speaking, and sometimes even screaming are great ways to release unwanted energy. Keeping feelings bottled up inside can negatively contribute to the spirit. Let it out and let go. 

4. Therapy. Whether you’re feeling down or not, therapy can be a great way to upkeep the mental. Speaking to someone outside of yourself can genuinely help. Contrary to popular belief, therapy is not for “crazy people.” It’s to free the mind of mental burdens and help to contribute to alleviated stress. No matter who you are therapy can help in some way. 

5. Meditation or prayer. Meditation has been around for centuries. Being present and/or asking a higher power or the universe for clarity is a huge thing. Peace can be created from being mindful, or just asking for peace itself. Taking even five minutes in the morning to meditate, or just laying in the bed awake can even help. 

6. Find balance. While important, balance can be very difficult to achieve and maintain. However, it is important to take baby steps to achieve it. Balancing work and social lives or even sleep can be crucial in sustaining positive mental health. Prioritize what is important and allow time for the mind to have space in between different activities.  Find what works best, and move accordingly. 

7. Ask for help. Sometimes asking for help is a scary thing, or makes people think they are weak. However, asking for help is just a way to take the stress from yourself. Someone can offer help and even offer ways to cope with mental health. Never be afraid to seek help. 

8. Take a break. Realize that it is okay to chill. The mental needs to have a break, there are so many things that run through the mind on a daily. So, let your mind rest. Take a break if needed, and that is validated. 

9. Journal. Writing thought on paper is also another way to be mentally stable. Writing can help to keep the mind moving and put the many thought that exists in our heads somewhere else for a change. 

10. Embrace you. Embrace the inner you and realizing that there is no person or thing that is perfect. Realize that it is okay to take a break and just love yourself is a stride toward better mental health. There is only one you, so live accordingly.  Love on yourself, you are worthy!

Your mental stability is power, and it is important to put your mind first. I hope these tips reach you well and give a sense of comfort during these trying times. Peace!

Mental health hotlines

SAMHSA’s National Helpline- 1-800-662-HELP

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline- 1800-273-8255

Crisis Text line- Text SUPPORT to 741-741

India Rice, 19, is a Mass Media major at the Illustrious Clark Atlanta University.