Why These 7 Movies Are The Worst of 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

2022 was a very remarkable year for several reasons, but, one of the most remarkable for me was the return to the cinema. Going out and being able to watch movies on the big screen was something that I missed a lot during the two years of the pandemic.

But, even though I got to see many films at the cinema, they weren’t all good… With that in mind, take a look at the worst movies of 2022, in my opinion.

Thor: Love and Thunder

As a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, “Thor: Love And Thunder” was one of the movies I most wanted to see in 2022. But, to my disappointment, the anxiety about the feature film was not worth it. For two hours, we watched a terror on the cinema screen.

Thor has always been one of the most beloved heroes by fans, especially after the release of Thor: Ragnarok in 2017. The third film about the God of Thunder has it all: crumbs of romance, dramatic scenes, and lots of action. The big problem is that the mix of these three topics was a mess.

To sum it up, it’s a very fast and noisy movie, full of loose ends. A big disappointment, and, in my opinion, one of the worst Marvel movies.

Death on the Nile

In 2022, yet another Agatha Christie detective novel is brought to life in an adaptation. Despite having a spectacular cast, including Gal Gadot, Emma Mackey, and Armie Hammer, the film leaves much to be desired.

“Death on the Nile” is, in my opinion, one of the author’s most brilliant books, but the adaptation does not do justice to Agatha’s very clever story. Despite being a long film, important details were left out, making the viewers’ experience extremely confusing.

Morbius

It is very sad to put another Marvel movie on this list, but there is no way to leave “Morbius out. I watched this movie when it was released and until today, months later, I wonder if it was a collective delirium.

Few people go to the cinema knowing anything about the characters in the movie, but the release of Morbius gave the fans several details about Michael Morbius. At first, this was something positive, but, as the movie progresses, the information previously given is lost because the feature film becomes extremely disconnected and confusing, besides not being faithful to the story of the comic books.

Honestly, it’s hard to understand why Marvel and Sony decided that it would be a good idea to create this movie.

Halloween Ends

“Halloween Ends” wraps up the trilogy in an extremely disappointing way for fans. The film takes place four years after Halloween Kills, where Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) lives with her granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak) in a state of peace and freedom, finally leaving Michael Myers behind. Chaos again ensues in the town of Haddonfield when a young man is accused of killing the child he was caring for. A new wave of terror begins and everyone starts to get worried again.

What the fans expected was that Michael Myers would be part of these events, but to the disappointment of the viewers, the killer is now someone else. The ending of the trilogy has become something disappointing and completely spoils the story of the previous films. It is sad to realize that a saga with so much potential has been ruined by the introduction of a new villain.

Senior Year

In “Senior Year”, a teenage girl falls into a coma after an accident while practicing a cheerleading stunt. 20 years later, she wakes up and decides to do what she never could because of her accident: become prom queen.

The movie has the typical traits of Netflix originals: silly comedies and a lot of content to pass the time. Usually, this kind of movie manages to hold our attention and do what it promises, but in this particular one, it is safe to say that the viewer will only be angry for one hour and 51 minutes.

The Weekend Away

Based on the book by Sarah Alderson, “The Weekend Away” tells the story of two friends, Beth (Leighton Meester) and Kate (Christina Wolfe), who decide to meet up after years to catch up. The two travel to Croatia for a weekend, but what was supposed to be a reunion becomes a nightmare when Kate disappears, and Beth begins a long search in order to find her friend alive.

In the beginning, the story gives the viewers the impression that it will be a very well-constructed thriller, but by the end of the film we realize that the ending is as obvious as possible.

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness

On that note, it’s safe to say that 2022 was not a good year for Marvel. Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness was the film that most aroused my anxiety until its release. The proposal intrigued fans greatly since the feature would bring Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch, two of the most powerful superheroes, as protagonists.

All expectations were thrown away as soon as the movie started. It is about two hours of a lot of disconnected craziness and opening for new universes that, in the end, do not get a proper conclusion. For me, the only good thing about this movie was showing how Wanda would be an invincible villain if she chose this side to fight on.

Those were my favorite worst movies of 2022. What about yours?

👯‍♀️ Related: “Love And Thunder”: Why Do We Need a Female Thor?
👯‍♀️ Related: Liked “Don’t Worry Darling”? Here Are Other 6 Movies With Breathtaking Plot Twists

————————-

The article above was written by Maria Fernanda Viana and edited by Júlia Pupo Mucha Fagá.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Maria Fernanda Viana

Casper Libero '25

Desde sempre obcecada por palavras e pelos universos nos quais vivo através dos livros