Liked “Don’t Worry Darling”? Here Are Other 6 Movies With Breathtaking Plot Twists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The movie “Don’t Worried Darling” released on September 22nd, is directed by Olivia Wilde and stars Florence Pugh and Harry Styles. It brings a storyline that begins with a utopian scenario and, in the course of the story, turns out to be a completely false and confusing world for Pugh’s character. In between scene changes, the film leaves you wondering “what’s going on?” all the time.

If you like to be surprised and feel that the plot is turning into something unexpected, here are movies that make you feel that way:

Get Out (2017)

Directed by Jordan Peele, the 2018 Academy Award-winning movie for Best Original Screenplay presents Chris Washington (Daniel Kaluuya), an African-American man, on his experience meeting the parents of Alice (Allison Williams), his white girlfriend. 

The film is a psychological thriller that involves issues of interracial relationships. It leaves you anxious to know the secret of Alice’s family and how Chris will act when he discovers his girlfriend’s plan.

Incendies (2010)

The storyline of the movie, based on the play “Incendios” by Wajdi Mouawad, presents the journey of the mission that Nawal Marwal (Lubna Azabal), a Middle Eastern immigrant, gave to her twin children after she died. 

Jeanne (Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin) and Simon (Maxim Gaudette) would have to travel to the Middle East to deliver two envelopes made by their mother: one to their other brother and one to their father. They were surprised by the request, because they thought their father was dead, and they didn’t know they had another brother.  

In the course of the film, they find out things about their mother and their own family history. Showing the experience of a person trying to survive in the war, it brings a great impact to the viewer when everything is brought to light.

Parasite (2019)

Winner of the Oscar for 2020’s best film, the storyline follows the family life of two South Korean families from different social classes: the Kim family and the Park family. The Kim’s, who were all unemployed and in a difficult situation, got jobs in different positions to work for Park’s family. 

The movie compares the different situations that poor and rich families experience in the same society and the daily struggle of the ones trying to get a better life. With a plan hatched by the Kim family that leaves you shocked, the plot may end up giving you a headache with some chaotic scenes.

Fractured (2019)

Another psychological thriller is Netflix’s “Fractured.” Ray Monroe (Sam Worthington) and Joanne Monroe (Lily Rabe) take their daughter, Peri (Lucy Capri), who is injured, to the emergency room. 

At the hospital, Ray eventually passes out, and after he wakes up his wife and daughter are missing, so he begins to investigate and comes into conflict with the hospital. Dealing with the delicate issue of organ trafficking, the film makes you question what really happened to Ray’s family until the very last moment.

The Butterfly Effect (2004)

“The Butterfly Effect” is a science fiction and psychological thriller movie that tells the story of Evan Treborn (Ashton Kutcher), who discovers he can go back in time and change the events of his life. The movie shows Treborn’s traumas and the effects that his actions have on the lives of everyone around him. 

With three alternate endings produced, the plot shows that every small change in the past causes an unexpected turnaround in your present self, bringing the reflection that perhaps the best version of your life is your unchanged present. 

The Voyeurs (2021)

“The Voyeurs” is an Amazon Prime Video movie that tells the story of Pippa (Sydney Sweeney) and Thomas (Justice Smith), a young couple who just moved into a new apartment and discovered a new sexual fetish: watching their neighbours in intimate moments. 

They begin to develop an obsession with this practice and end up discovering unexpected things about their neighbours. This involvement brings consequences for the couple’s lives, causing problems in their own relationship and building a plot with many twists and turns. 

The article above was edited by Lethicia Lioi.

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Mayara Campos Passos

Casper Libero '25

I love the world of pop music, I have a real addiction to music awards shows. In my spare time, I love to discover curiosities about diverse cultures. I like to discover new things and write about them.