Wellness > Mental Health

Wasted Youth: How Covid-19 Is Affecting The Mental Health Of Young Adults

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

We are passing through a time never reported in human history. All over the world, we’re seeing empty streets, stores closing, and houses crowded. Our threat isn’t just the virus, but also our minds. That considerable amount of time confined at home can cause multiple disorders, which are accounted as physical or psychological. It is vital to be aware of our mental health, recognize that we will be affected. But how to deal with it? 

To answer this and other questions regarding the subject we consulted Dr. Juliana Spitzcovsky, 27, a clinical psychologist. She’ll help us, young adults, with how to manage to be at home in the best time of our lives, what happened in our daily routine, what are the consequences, and loads of others concerning matters.

What are the consequences of social distancing to our physical and psychological health?

The virus transformed reality as a whole in harsher ways for some than others. Despite being a singular experience, we can find some similarities in certain speeches. We are social individuals, created and educated inside groups, we weren’t born or created isolated. All our lives we’ve been among people, our identities are guided on how we interact, and the affections are born based on social interactions. All of a sudden, the social distancing removes the fundamental positions known by us, bringing the unknown: spending a lot of time by ourselves, finding ways to entertain and create affection, overcome boredom with fewer resources, stand the recurring routine without the promise of new incentives, and many others. Besides, the full interaction with people we saw less, reducing private spaces even when mixed with the feeling of loneliness. These are a bunch of variations, without considering the imminent fear of contamination, the chaotic political scenario, and the absence of hope or security. The lack of plans, the fear, and the exhaustion bewildered the youth. With discouragement, the body starts to weary and try to find sources to maintain itself in such a painful situation. Within them, the exaggerated consumption of substances, for instance, food, alcoholic drinks, cigarettes, and other drugs. There is a health concern, but the shortage of energy to maintain it makes us appeal to alternative means.

Balcony concerts during COVID pandemic
United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash

Why, regardless of being more at home, we feel more tired?

Home means for many a synonym for rest or refuge, but not to all. Today it has turned into work, conviviality, rest, meals, and social space. The lack of stimulation centralizes all the experiences and hampers the search for a true resting space. Staying at home doesn’t mean the same as it used to, just like every other aspect of life. The emotional is not a state apart from the body.

Woman in front of laptop with mask on
Photo by Edward Jenner from Pexels

How is the pandemic affecting young adults with preexistent disorders?

It is an extremely intimate answer, but it is harder to deal with. It might potentialize symptoms and even develop new ones because the access to treatment and care suffered reduction and shifting.

men and mental health
Photo by Fernando @cferdo from Unsplash

Do you have some tips on how we can maintain a healthy lifestyle?

My tip, moreover what I have been searching with many of my patients, is finding your sources of confrontation. Physical exercises, yoga, good eating habits, and skincare are important but self-care can’t be generalized. People are unique, therefore the tools for their care are always different. We all need to find our tools, try to listen to our feelings, and cope with their necessities. Therapy is a healthy and good way for all because it can adapt to our singularities. 

self care isnt selfish sign
Photo by Madison Inouye from Pexels

A lot of young adults feel they’re losing the best time of their lives, what do you think about it? Is there a way to lower this emotion?

We need to remember that pain and loss are inevitable. Something once known as the best time does not exist anymore, but that doesn’t mean we can’t create a new meaning. It is us who give importance to moments so it’s our place to build a new best time to be alive.

COVID
Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response on Unsplash

She said some important details to keep in mind. We need to take care of ourselves in the first place. It is fundamental not to lose hope, it’s hard I know, but we are still going to live like this for a few more months so it is better to stay positive and give attention to simple details we used to ignore. If we can manage not to collapse once we are out of this situation we’ll share even more joyful experiences soon, we hope.

Be home, be safe!

—————-

This article was edited by Amanda Oestreich.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Rafaela Vazquez

Casper Libero '24

Journalist Interests in culture, politics, feminism, art and tourism.
cuore in allarme journalist, writer, artist and everything else in between ✉ laurapferrazzano@gmail.com