This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Running has been on focus and the interest on it of the female public is growing. Why? Because it is an exercise that helps to lost weight and doesn’t require lot of things: you just need to have a pair of sneakers and desire to do it. Besides that, nowadays there are a lot of events for this female public that gathers together women who like the same sports and want to have fun.

If you are already part of this group or intend to be, here are some tips for you about training and nourishment:

TRAINING

Whoever thinks that start to run is just put aside laziness and the sneakers is wrong. It is necessary a specific training and prepare to do that. That is why Gabriele Siqueira, graduated in physical education, gym teacher and personal trainer clarified some doubts and gave suggestions about running.

Q: Can anybody start to run? Does it require any previous examination?

Gabriele: Anybody who is in good physical conditions. People with pathologies and without medical authorization should not run. The ideal is that the person makes the exams regularly to know if she has the physical condition for the activity.

Q: For which parts of the body does it work? And which ones need to be reinforced?

Gabriele: The running works main the inferior members (legs) and the region of midsection, abdominals. It is necessary to reinforce all the body, but who wants to get better it is nice to strengthen CORE’S (muscles which involves the abdominal, spine and glutes).

Q: How to avoid the overtraining?

Gabriele: Respecting trainer’s orientation, having days off to rest the body and the muscles, respecting the training spreadsheet and the signals which the body gives. Muscular weakness, indisposition, lack of appetite and sleep, are some signals that needs to be observed.

Q: For girls who don’t run, how can they star?

Gabriele: The best way to star is running a determined time. Example: 5 minutes walking to warm up and do some series of 4 or 5 minutes light running with some minutes of walking. By the time, increasing the time of running and decreasing the time of walking. Friend’s company will depend on the person’s profile. There are some people who do not need others to practice a sport or encourage them to do things. If the person likes and prefers a company, it is good to realize training in the park or even search for a running advisory, which has collective trainings all the time besides support in the proofs and spreadsheet. If you have time to practice, an inscription in a running can also be stimulatory.

Q: For those who already run, how to innovate?

Gabriele: It will always depend on the pupil’s goal. If she wants to improve the time in a specific distance, she needs to change the training’s structure. The ideal is to have a professional’s help. If she is tired of running only on the mat, can alternate the days at the gym with trainings outdoors in the park, squares, put ascents and downhills too. For those who are used to run, it is always good and important to innovate and stimulate the body in a different way.

NUTRITION

Nutrition is fundamental for any sport, and in the running requires a big amount from the individual. However, this big amount has to be well chosen for the best results. Camila Lopes, personal trainer, supplements store’s owner partner and nutrition intern (last semester), gave us some advice about nutrition from the fitness universe.”

Q: Which foods help in running?

Camila: A runner needs a balanced and individual diet, like any other person. It means that it has to be balanced in macro and micronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, vitamins and minerals).

Q: What has to be eaten before running?

Camila: The consumption of carbos is relevant because they contribute to form the ATPs (energy) in our organism. For example: bread, potato, pasta.

Q: What has to be eaten before training?

Camila: Carbos, in order to replace the energy wasted in the training, proteins, to contribute for the recovery muscles; fruits to replace minerals and vitamins; and water for the hydro replacing, because of the high transpiration during the running. For example: sandwich with grain bread, ricotta and turkey breast; banana and water.

Q: How does the feeding of a girl who wants to “dry off” with running need to be?

Camila: Healthy and balanced. The body needs to produce energy for the running and replace the wasted. Proteins, vitamins and minerals, are also important as said before. It is relevant to choose complex carbos (integral) and thermogenic foods. These ones speed metabolism’s functioning, contributing for the fat burning. For example: coffee, ginger, green tea, pepper, apple vinegar, cinnamon.

Q: How should be a meal before a proof?

Camila: Balanced, but the ingestion of carbos and C vitamin is very important. For example: breads, pastas, roasted potatoes and red berries.

Camila also makes an observation: “Each runner has a profile, so she has to visit a nutritionist in order to have a balanced diet, according to the energy waste and other individual factors. Only then she can reach the goal healthy and happy with herself”.

I am a handsome guy
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.