Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Met Gala: Remember The Most Iconic Red Carpet Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The first Monday in May is an appointment date in the diaries of fashion lovers. The Met Gala night is synonymous with creativity, luxury, extravagance, and elegance in the celebrity world, and also with curiosity for viewers. The public anxiously waits to know how the performances that will parade through the red carpet will interpret the edition’s theme.

The looks don’t always make a good impression and are often the subject of controversy on social networks throughout the month. In the midst of these debates, something has always been right about the Met Gala – the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is the stage for unforgettable moments in the fashion world. From Blake Lively‘s “Statue of Liberty” dress to Lady Gaga‘s look transformations at the 2019 edition, the event is a symbol of creativity and elegance.

Check out some unforgettable moments that have marked the history of the event:

Kate Moss (1995)

The first appearance of the supermodel, who has been on the cover of Vogue more than 30 times, is a memorable moment in the 75 years of the Met Gala. The British woman appeared in a long off-white Calvin Klein dress, simple, but which did justice to the “Haute Couture” theme of the edition.

Rihanna (2015)

When it comes to making her presence felt, Rihanna doesn’t hesitate to present looks that will be news in the fashion world for days to come. The 2015 edition, whose theme was “China: Through the Looking Glass” was proof of this, when the singer walked down the runway wearing a yellow cape of four meters of fabric, weighing more than 25 kilos. The design was by Chinese fashion designer Guo Pei, who had her work popularized and promoted by the songstress.

Lady Gaga (2019)

Creativity has no limits when it comes to Lady Gaga. At the 2019 edition of the Met Gala, the singer paraded not just one, but four looks revealed through transformations. In her 16-minute entrance, the songwriter started with a fuchsia coat of 25 meters of fabric, designed by Brandon Maxwell. As Gaga walked down the red carpet, a strapless black dress, another bright pink one, and a sparkly lingerie set shown off by the fashion icon. The singer lived up to the theme of the issue – “Camp: Notes on Fashion”.

Lil Nas X (2021)

Lady Gaga wasn’t the only one who performed a live metamorphosis at the Met Gala – Lil Nas X incorporated transformations into his look at the 2021 edition. The rapper started with an embroidered velvet cape, then revealed a golden armor, and finally a gold and brown jumpsuit filled with glitter. The design by Donatella Versace mixed a disco atmosphere with traces of “Knights of the Zodiac”.

Kim Kardashian (2021 e 2022)

There is no way to leave out of a list of iconic moments of the Met Gala, the one responsible for delivering unforgettable performances and controversial debates at the event. Kim Kardashian surprises the audience every year with her looks, and it was no different in the years 2021 and 2022.

With the theme “In America: a Lexicon of Fashion” the model wore a black look that covered her body completely – gloves, leggings, heels, and even a wedge incorporated the personality’s look. “What’s more American than a T-shirt from head to toe?!” quoted Kardashian in a post on Instagram with photos of the Balenciaga outfit. Kim entered the red carpet accompanied by the brand’s creative director, Demna Gvasalia, who was also covered head to toe in an all-black presentation.

Kim’s look for the 2022 issue was also the talk of the town – the socialite wore “The naked dress”, part of Marilyn Monroe‘s fashion collection. The model was worn by the actress when she serenaded President John F. Kennedy on his 45th birthday in 1962. The piece designed by Bob Mackie was Kardashian’s choice to illustrate the theme “Gilded Glamour and White Tie”, which means Golden Age in the 19th century in the United States. However, the dress suffered several damages because of the adjustments made to make it fit Kim’s body, a reason that left Internet users outraged, since the piece was of historical heritage.

The article above was edited by Isadora Costa.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Mariana do Patrocínio

Casper Libero '25

journalism student. aquarius. art lover. fashion addict. yoga practitioner. traveler.