Wellness

Make it spicy! 6 Benefits Spices Can Bring To Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Do you like spicy food? With pepper and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, basil, parsley and many others? Regardless of your answer we will show here some motivations for you to put spicy food in your everyday menu! Come with us!

Bye-bye hypertension

The use of spices help you to decrease the amount of salt you put in your food, thus preventing the diseases caused by the excessive salt intake. It happens because we usually salt food to enhance its taste, but when we add spices that make it more appetizing, we don’t need to use more salt on it!

This is very important information considering that, in Brazil, almost 35% of the population has hypertension, according to the Ministry of Health. This disease causes the death of 200 thousand brazilian per year, according to the website Uol, because it’s associated with a great part of the sudden death cases like cerebrovascular accident (CVA), acute myocardial infarction. heart failure, peripheral arterial disease and chronic kidney disease.

The powerful pepper

For those that love very caliente food, I have good news! The consumption of pepper brings several benefits such as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, because it’s rich in capsaicin. This property also helps in pain relief, improves digestion and helps to speed up metabolism.

Besides it, pepper is also a good element to give a boost in your sexual life, because it increases the libido! Really hot isn’t it?

A great ally to the digestive system

The bayleaf is indispensable to make our beloved beans, but it’s also a great ally of the digestive system, stimulating digestive juices, treating gases, cramps and bellyaches.

The bayleaf also helps to regulate the menstrual cycle, to improve HDL and decrease LDL and prevent cardiac diseases. Also, when you have a fever or flu, the consumption of bayleaf tea or just the inhalation of its vapor helps to relieve congestion.

Cinnamon makes you fitter

Have you ever heard about thermogenic food? Well, both pepper and cinnamon are spices that have the characteristic of speeding up metabolism and burning calories. Cinnamon also is used to treat nausea, vomiting and digestive problems.

This spice is so powerful that it also has antidiabetics, bactericides, fungicides and anti-inflammatory functions. What are you waiting for to start consuming it?

Let’s clean up inside!

If you want an internal cleaning, the parsley may help you with it! It has some properties that help to prevent fluid retention and detox our body. It also promotes anti-inflammatory action, blood sugar control, fights anemia, relieves constipation and has a rejuvenating action.

Garlic doesn’t protect you only from vampires

Very well-known by putting away vampires, garlic is one of the most used spices in Brazil and one of the best friends of your immunologic system! It is rich in sulfur-containing compounds that are good for treating colds, lung and digestive infections.

It also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, helping to prevent cardiovascular diseases. Last but not least, garlic helps to combat fungal and virus infections, making you less vulnerable to them.

These are just some benefits of some spices, but there are so many that it wouldn’t fit in this article! So why don’t start testing them? 

——————————————————————————————————————————————

The article above was edited by Gabriela Girardi

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Jornalist, writer, love to take pictures, scorpio.