It’s Theater time: Get To Know 4 Musicals You Should Watch in Sao Paulo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

São Paulo is a city widely known for its huge access to art and culture. A standout from that is the variety of theaters that stage musicals all year long. Today, Her Campus will recommend 4 musicals in São Paulo that you definitely should watch!

WICKED

The huge Broadway success that was inspired by the book of the same title explores the origin story of the characters Elphaba and Glinda, and how they became, respectively, the Wicked Witch from the West and the Good Witch of the South, from the classic The Wizard of Oz

The musical had its first run in São Paulo back in 2016, and ever since then fans have begged for the musical to return. Wicked will make you forget about real life with their emotional and catchy songs, with the highlight being Elphaba flying over the audience while singing “Defying Gravity”. 

The long-awaited comeback had its debut at Santander’s theater on March 9th, with the return of the same cast such as protagonists Myra Ruiz and Fabi Bang, but also new additions to the production, including new costumes, set designs, and choreography. 

ONCE

The eight times Tony Awards Winner musical follows an aspiring singer in Dublin who meets and starts to write songs with a Czech immigrant who becomes enchanted with his melodies. Once will leave you emotional with its songs that follow the story of two people who struggle with life and love, but also find purpose in it with the creation of music. 

The cast starring Lucas Lima and Bruna Guerin are standouts and have amazing vocals. But also because of the use of countless instruments like piano, guitar, and ukulele during the story. The musical had its acclaimed debut for the first time ever in São Paulo on March 17th at the Villa Lobos Theater. 

THE BODYGUARD

This musical is a direct adaptation of the 1992 movie classic that goes by the same name. The story follows a worldwide famous singer, who in need of protection, hires a bodyguard, and throughout the plot we see them meeting each other and falling in love. 

The musical adapts the story perfectly, with amazing vocal deliveries on the songs performed by Leilah Moreno, and even paying homage to the original movie and using the same costumes and set designs. Its theatrical debut in São Paulo happened on March 16th at the Claro Theater, and its run has so far been extended due to high demand.

THE COLOR PURPLE

The highly acclaimed musical is an adaptation of the same title Pulitzer-winning novel. It also has a 1985 screen adaptation that was directed by Stephen Spielberg. The story follows the difficult life of a black woman in Georgia, and during the adversities that she has to face over the years, she becomes friends with two women who show her the possibility of change, hope, and new perspectives. 

The musical showcases relevant topics such as racism, misogyny, and abuse of power, and the cast composed by Amanda Vicente, Érika Afonso, and Flávia Santana takes the music to a whole other level. The Color Purple has been on tour throughout the country, but it will debut in São Paulo on June 2nd at the Villa Lobos Theater.

The article above was edited by Isadora Costa.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Mariana Aguiar

Casper Libero '26

Hi! I’m a journalist student at Casper Líbero and a few things i love are taylor swift, romance novels and movies! I look foward to sharing about my passions here <3