From Beabadoobee To Phoebe Bridgers: Get To Know All Of The 9 Artists Who Will Be Opening Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After releasing her new album, Midnights, Taylor Swift, on November 1st  through an Instagram post, announced her new “The Eras Tour” to celebrate her entire musical career. She also disclosed which artists will open it, identifying each one with an emoji next the dates.

Nine artists will be performing, so check out below some short biographies of each one for you to get to know them!

beabadoobee

Beatrice Kristi Laus, better known by her stage name beabadoobee, is a Filipino songwriter and singer, who grew up in England. The artistic name comes from her username on Instagram, which the singer chose after her friend, who produced songs with her, said she needed to choose a musician name, as she explained in an interview for the Malaysian radio station Fly.fm.

Her sound circles around Indie Pop and 90s alt-rock. She started her music career in 2017, releasing her first song, Coffee, which helped her sign with her current record label, Dirty Hit. In 2020, it went viral on TikTok with the remix death bed (coffee for your head), by the artist Powfu.

“Coffee”, by beabadoobee.

beabadoobee released her very first studio album, Fake It Flower, in 2020, with 12 songs that approach problems that girls have in their adolescence. “Writing and recording Fake It flowers… I guess kind of helped me find a nice, comfortable place to relax in for the time being” she reveals in an interview for Apple Music.

This year, she released her second studio album, named after the fantasy world she created at the age of seven, Beatopia. The singer told Apple Music that this album brings self-acceptance of problems she had in the past.

The artist, who will open Taylor Swift shows, tells through her Instagram post that it is a dream come true.

HC recommendations: Coffee, Dye It Red and Talk.

GAYLE

Nominated for Grammy 2023 in Song of the Year, with abcdefu, Taylor Gayle Rutherford is a new American singer-songwriter. Before signing with  Atlantic Records, she was an independent artist who released a few singles. In 2021, making her debut with the label, she released the song abcdefu, which, this year, went viral on TikTok and reached the top of the Billboard Global 200 and Billboard Global Excl. U.S charts.

“abcdefu”, by GAYLE.

With pop-punk songs, Gayle released, in 2022, two EPs: study of the human experience – volume one and volume two, in which she compiled lyrics that she started writing at the age of 14. “It’s a combination of all those human experiences, put into one project”, she said for Apple Music.

The artist, in an interview for E! News, during the American Music Awards red carpet, thanked Taylor Swift for being an inspiration for her to move to Nashville and become a songwriter. Gayle also revealed that the opportunity to open 9 shows of the Eras Tour came about when she met the singer at the NSAI (Nashville Songwriter Association International) awards.

HC recommendations: Luv Started, Kiddie Pool and fmk (with blackbear).

Gracie Abrams

Gracie Madigan Abrams is an American singer-songwriter. She is the new sensation of bedroom pop, having her 2019 debut, on the Interscope Records label, with the single Mean It, a melancholy song that talks about feeling frayed with a relationship that is ending.

“Mean It”, by Gracie Abrams.

With two EPs already released, called minor and This Is What It Feels Like, Abrams describes her songs as sad, and reveals that she feels much better mentally and emotionally after she writes them.

The singer, who has already opened shows for Olivia Rodrigo in 2022, will now open for Taylor Swift. For her, Taylor is “one of the blueprints for vulnerability as a young woman. I just respect the shit out of her with everything that she does. I’ve always been so inspired at every stage of my life as a fan of hers”, she reveals in an interview for TeenVogue.

HC recommendations: 21, Older and Block me Out.

girl in red

Marie Ulven Ringheim, known by her stage name girl in red, is a Norwegian singer and songwriter. Her name was chosen because of a message she sent, in 2017, to the girl she liked, who was dressed in a red sweater, after finding her in the crowd at a festival. A few months later, she wore a sweater with a turtleneck, took a picture and wrote “girl in red” again – it felt like that should be her name.

In 2015, the singer independently released the song I wanna be your girlfriend on SoundCloud. In 2018, she was able to sign with the Awal distribution company and re-released that song. She also released her first EP, chapter 1

“we fell in love in october”, by girl in red.

Her songs move between indie-pop, folk and alternative genres. girl in red’s lyrics have caught the attention of the LGBTQIA+ community for talking about sapphic relationships. The singer, who identifies as queer and gay, became one of the most representative artists for Gen Z. “I just really wish I had someone like me when I was young. It’s awesome that I’m so lucky to be able to do that for other people” she answered for Complex, when asked what it is like to be a representative for queer children today.

The singer was influenced by Taylor Swift’s songwriting and is a big fan of her work. She revealed to iHeartRadio that, when she saw Swift posted on her Instagram stories that she was listening to girl in red’s first studio album, if i could make it go quiet, she laid down, started crying and hugged her manager. Later, she and Taylor exchanged emails.

HC recommendations: we fell in love in october, Body and Mind and I’ll Call You Mine.

Haim

Nominated 3 times for Grammy Awards, Haim is an indie rock band formed by the American sisters Alana (guitarist), Danielle (lead vocalist and guitarist) and Este Haim (bassist). The band’s name is the family surname. The started writing songs together in 2006 and released their first EP, Forever, six years later. In 2012 the sisters signed to Polydor Records in the UK, but, during their career, they were part of the American record label Roc Nation.

“Forever”, by HAIM.

Haim has several singles and three studio albums. Their latest one, Women In Music Pt III, released in 2021, was nominated for Album of the Year at the 2021 Grammys. It is about the experience of what it is like to be a woman in the music industry.

Haim has a long relationship with Taylor Swift. They opened some shows of The 1989 World Tour, in 2015, and now they will open The Eras Tour. The band and the artist have collaborations: the sisters are part of the song no body, no crime from the Swift’s album evermore, and the singer participates in the track Gasoline, from Haim’s latest album. On July 21 of this year, Taylor made a surprise appearance at the trio’s concert in London, and sang the collaboration Gasoline and her own song Love Story with them. The sisters also appeared at the beginning of the music video for Bejeweled.

HC recommendations: Let Me Go, If I Could Change Your Mind and Summer Girl.

MUNA

MUNA is a queer band formed by the Americans Katie Gavin, Josette Maskin, and Naomi McPherson. They formed the group while studying at the University of Southern California, in mid-2013. Their name was randomly chosen in a brainstorming meeting after they already had a few songs, but no band name. “We just kept coming up with options, and then somebody said ‘Luna’, and then someone said ‘MUNA’ shortly after. And then we were like ‘ok’”, explained Gavin in an interview for Billboard.

The Multi-instrumentalist trio makes pop-rock songs, and has released singles, EPs and two albums under RCA Records. In 2021, they signed with Phoebe Bridgers’ record label, Saddest Factory, and released a featuring with their “boss” in the same year, Silk Chiffon, which speak of the pure beauty and bliss of queer love. The track was considered one of the 50 best songs of 2021 by Rolling Stones magazine.

“Silk Chiffon”, by MUNA feat. Phoebe Bridgers.

In this year, they released their self-produced third album called MUNA. “I ultimately feel like this record sounds the most like us, for sure” said McPherson for Elle magazine. The band also dropped a live EP called Live At Electric Lady, which contains a cover of Taylor Swift’s song august, from the folklore album.

HC recommendations: I Know A Place, Number One Fan and No Idea.

OWENN

Christian Owen is a new R&B singer and a professional dancer. He has been choreographing and performing with artists like Beyoncé, Rihanna, Normani and Lil Nas X.  He recently signed with Universal Music Group’s, debuting his first song, Baby Girl, in 2021.

“Baby Girl”, by Owenn

This year, he released the song Rest Of My Life and will launch his new single, Show Me, on December 3rd. His only two releases are catchy and romantic.

The singer was a dancer on the Reputation Stadium Tour and co-starred in Taylor Swift’s Lover music video. In the Instagram post celebrating the clip’s 3-year anniversary, he wrote “I really have to say this video was a big turning point in my career. I’ll be forever grateful to @taylorswift for including me in such a huge moment, for believing in me and my music, and for being such a big support to me when I started on this new path”.

OWENN revealed in an Instagram live that the singer helped him to have label meetings, contacting them and talking about him. The record company was curious about Taylor Swift being so firm about the singer signing with them and ended up calling him to see his performance.

HC recommendations: Baby Girl and Rest of My Life.

Paramore

Nominated 3 times for Grammy Awards, Paramore is an alternative rock band  formed in 2004, in Franklin, Tennessee. Throughout the band’s career, there have been changes of members, and, currently, the line-up counts on Hayley Williams (lead singer), Zac Farro (drummer) and Taylor York (guitarist). In 2005, they signed with Atlantic Records and are still with the label today. Their name came from the last name of one of the band members, after they discovered that “Paramour” stood for “secret love” and adopted the name with the spelling “Paramore”.

“Pressure”, by Paramore.

The band has 5 studio albums, several singles and EPs. In 2017, they announced they were going on hiatus, and in 2022, after 5 years, they announced their return. In September, Paramore released the single This Is Why. “It summarizes the plethora of ridiculous emotions, the rollercoaster of being alive in 2022, having survived even just the last three or four years”, Hayley Williams said in an interview for Billboard. Next year, they will release an album with the same name.

Hayley Williams is a longtime friend of Taylor Swift‘s: she participated in the Bad Blood music video, in 2015. The band has also made a special appearance at one of the Speak Now World Tour shows, in Nashville.

HC recommendations: Never Let This Go, I Caught Myself, Hard Times and  Still into You.

Phoebe Bridgers

Nominated for 4 Grammys, Phoebe Bridgers is a Californian singer, songwriter and producer. Since childhood, she has been busking (street performance) in the streets of Los Angeles. The singer debuted with the single Killer, in 2015, via Ryan Adams’ Pax AM label. In 2017, she released her first studio album, Stranger in the Alps, via Dead Oceans label.

Bridgers produces indie music. Most of her lyrics deal with sad themes and have melancholy melodies. “I think it is challenging to sound intelligent and write well about happiness rather than sadness. In the intention of not sounding trite, I lean toward darker subjects, just for comfort. I think a challenge for me now is to articulate about things that are good” she reveals to Rolling Stones magazine, after releasing the single Sidelines this year, which has optimistic lyrics.

“Killer”, by Phoebe Bridgers.

In 2020, after releasing her second album, Punisher, she launched her own record label, called Saddest Factory. “It’s always been a dream of mine to have a label, because I’m also such a music fan”, said Bridgers in an interview for Billboard.

The singer is on the song Nothing New (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault), featured on Taylor Swift’s album Red (Taylor’s Version). Phoebe said for Billboard that this collaboration is like a dream, and Swift declared, during an interview on Late Night With Seth Meyers, that Phoebe Bridgers is one of her favorite singers in the world.

HC recommendations: Kyoto, Motion Sickness and Smoke Signals.

👯‍♀️ Related: Taylor Swift: 5 underrated songs that are hidden treasures

———————-

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Mayara Campos Passos

Casper Libero '25

I love the world of pop music, I have a real addiction to music awards shows. In my spare time, I love to discover curiosities about diverse cultures. I like to discover new things and write about them.