First time getting a tattoo? Here are 10 things you should know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The first tattoo is always very special and exciting, but it also comes with many doubts. After all, how does the budget work? What precautions should I take? Where does it hurt the least? Don’t worry, tattoo artists are always willing to listen to customers, answer questions and indicate what to do so that your skin can heal in the best possible way and your tattoo looks beautiful!

To calm your nerves and provide a better explanation of these procedures so that you can prepare yourself, Her Campus interviewed tattoo artist Luiz Henrique Astrath, who works at the MIT studio, in Vila Mariana, São Paulo. Check out the tips!

What part hurts the most?

“The parts that hurt the most can vary from person to person. I have a theory that it is the parts in which we have more pain sensors, which are normally in the most vulnerable regions of the body, that is, those where, in the case of a deeper cut, it could pose a risk of death. Usually, they are associated with body folds, such as the neck, ankle, groin, armpits, etc. Remembering that this can vary from person to person.”

Is there any pigment that is more painful to put on, as they say about red and orange, or is that just a myth?

“Tattoo inks follow an order of application for one simple reason, they can stain, usually lighter inks like baby blue are used after the other shades of blue (dark and medium) and because it has already hurt the skin, the pain it can be intensified by attacking a part that has already been pigmented. A great example is the color white, which is the last color we pigment in the skin. Imagine a session lasting more than eight hours, where the skin is already sensitive due to the procedure, and it hurts again with white at the end of the session in areas that have already entered the healing process. It will give the feeling that that white one hurts more, but, in fact, any color that pigments there will hurt just as much.”

Is there really a need to wrap a plastic film around the tattoo site right after getting it done?

“It’s a very complex topic and it causes a lot of discussion in the area, each tattoo artist has an indication. I normally indicate the use for two basic reasons: the plastic film or plastic for protection prevents the access of bacteria and foreign bodies that can, through loose particles in the air, or direct contact, access your bloodstream. In addition, the tattoo, during the first two or three days, releases what we call lymph [a liquid that circulates named lymphatic], along with the tattoo ink. The plastic prevents this inky lymph from staining clothes and sheets.”

Why can’t we take off the skins that come off? Does it affect healing? If yes, how?

“The famous tattoo “scabs” begin to form usually after the third day of the procedure. It is extremely important to know that these scabs are the first layer of skin renewing itself (we have 3 layers and the tattoo ink must be pigmented in the second layer). Ripping off these scabs can pull out a deeper scar along with it, which may have hurt a little more during the procedure and, therefore, ‘ripping paint’ from the second layer, which is where it should stay, after healing.”

What do you usually advise your clients to do to calm down?

“It really depends on the situation. If it is related to the pain of the procedure, taking situations in a good mood is a great option, in addition, I recommend that my clients take something to distract themselves (books, movies, series, or even have a conversation during the session). Taking breaks during the procedure is also extremely important, especially in long sessions with more than 5 hours.

Now if it is related to anxiety, it helps a lot to explain about the procedure, in order to instruct the clients so that a possible doubt can be solved.”

And the sun, how does it affect the healing process?

“UVA and UVB rays make certain components renew themselves, such as macrophages, which makes the tattoo lose its ink. In addition, it causes melanin to be produced more, which also interferes with how the ink should be put on the skin. A person who has a lifestyle that involves being exposed to the sun should take into account that the contrast of the art can be affected. For this reason, we have tattoo artists who specialize in brown skin, as the creation of art is different from the skin tones we are going to tattoo.

During the healing process, the sun still heats up the tattoo, where the skin is sensitive, bringing the region an uncomfortable burning sensation.”

Tip: It is indicated to avoid direct contact with the sun, especially in the first 15 days. And always, for life, use sunscreen!

Is it possible for the ink to “leak”?

“The tattoo ink doesn’t leak after being properly pigmented on the skin, because the ink is actually solid. What happens is that to facilitate the pigmentation, the developers of the paint mix it in diluent liquids, which are absorbed by the body or expelled with the lymph during the first days of healing.”

Are there specific creams to heal tattoos? Which ones do you usually recommend to your clients?

“Another controversy within the field! I usually recommend a tattoo-specific healing ointment (found at tattoo studios or tattoo supplies retailers) or keeping the skin well hydrated with water-based products, as oil-based moisturizers can heat up more easily in contact with the sun rays.”

What interferes with the price of a tattoo?

“It depends a lot from tattoo artist to tattoo artist, their time in the field, and their interests. I take into account:

• Body region: regions that require more of my posture tend to have a lower value, and are usually those regions where I have greater accessibility, and I don’t need to be in positions that affect my spine or knees
  • Artwork complexity: The more difficult it is to make, the value also increases. Sizes and colors also interfere
  • Portfolio use: every tattoo artist should, or should, specialize in some style of tattooing, and for that, every tattoo artist puts together a portfolio of that type of work. I, for example, have specialized in Neo Traditional and Watercolor. A realistic tattoo, for example, is practically not part of my portfolio so realism works tend to have a higher value when I do.”

“But many tattoo artists can still judge the value of a job by expertise and experience.”

What part of the body do you recommend the first tattoo be on? Why?

“Depending from person to person, their age, their profession, their wishes regarding the future of their life. Imagine that I was approached by a person who is about to start studying medicine, business, law, and all the more ‘serious’ areas that still have a high level of prejudice within the field. For this young person, I would indicate an area that is normally not so sensitive, but which at the same time can be covered by more formal clothing, such as thighs, shoulders, biceps, ribs, chest and/or back. In these professions the person will hardly be wearing shorter clothes that can show these regions of the body.

Another important point would be in relation to the art that the person wants to tattoo on the body, what kind of art he wants to do, and how that art will stand alone or in continuation with other arts around. It seems simple, but it is a very complex job and service.”

Are you more relaxed? Now you know everything to get your tattoos without stress and how to make sure you don’t hurt your skin!

👯‍♀️ Related: WHAT MY TATTOOS MEAN TO ME

—————————-

The article above was written by Isabela Figueiredo. Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

I'm Isabela Figueiredo (Better Known as Figo) I love Anime, Brooks, Films and everything that comes with entertainment