Life > Experiences

Economy, Wellness And More: Why Green Living Is So Important To Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

In the last years, mainly in social media, sustainability has become a lifestyle. However, behind the hype of using Eco bags or metal straws, there are many things we don’t really think about green living. More than a great thing for the environment, changing some habits can be truly positive even in areas like the economy and our own wellness.

Sustainable economy

The major focus of a more sustainable economy is the maintenance of the ecosystem. The idea is to rethink economic processes so that nature is used responsibly and ecologically, using resources without major negative impacts.

This side of the economy believes in sustainable development, which was defined in The World Commission on Environment and Development, created by The United Nations, as “a development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”. A striking feature of this ideology is precisely this social side, once it is always considering the future of the world and society.

In this way, a lot of companies have already started their movement to become more sustainable. One example is the Brazilian cosmetic company “Natura”, which is one of the most sustainable companies in the world. The corporation has greatly reduced carbon emissions throughout its production chain, in addition to not carrying out tests on animals and being committed to projects that work to preserve the biodiversity of the Amazon rainforest.

It can’t be denied that changing the source of energy (for example) of a company for a sustainable one, immediately, will be a bigger cost, however, in long term, this new energy system is definitely going to be way better both for the company and for the environment.

Physical and mental wellness

Wellness is more than a state of mind, it is a junction of physical, mental and social well-being. Green living can totally collaborate with this well-being. A  great example is veganism. Having this in mind, I talked with the creator and cooker Luisa Motta, who, besides the videos for her YouTube channel “Larica Vegana”, has written books teaching vegan recipes and talking about this way of living.

Veganism is my biggest sustainable action, nothing compares to its impact. Choosing  veganism was one of the major decisions of my life, it is my fight and purpose in life”, told Luisa. All of our consumption choices, individual or collective, will always cause some impact in the environment and society.  Veganism shapes your consumption, even in fashion, entertainment, politics and cosmetics.

After asking her more about the whole vegan movement, beyond what we already superficially know about it, she said that, despite starting from the animal exploration cause, veganism relates to other areas in our lives, that’s why it is totally connected with

our wellness, both as individuals and as a group. Individually, being vegan motivates a more careful look for your physical health (taking exams more often), in addition to expanding your food, making it more varied, out of common sense. Moreover, thinking about the social aspect, veganism aligns what you believe with what you consume and eat. Once it relates to other social movements, being vegan is a political act. When you change your habits so that they make sense for what you believe you contribute to  your mental health.

Small changes that make the difference

Despite the great impact of implementing sustainable production on a company or a vegan lifestyle, green living doesn’t need to be practiced only in large acts, doing something is always better than doing nothing. It is with small steps that a more sustainable life is built. Every little act counts. Some habits like avoiding plastic bags, separating garbage for recycling and reducing meat consumption are also very welcome.

———————–

The article above was edited by Nicoly Bastos

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Rafaela Masseo

Casper Libero '25

journalist in formation; love to write about different topics; very interested in issues related to the environment, feminism and psychology; willing to tell the world new stories :)