This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you are a fashion lover, just like me, or a social media user, you have probably seen some influencers wearing accessories or whole outfits that look like they came out of a cartoon. This is part of a trend called “Fashion nostalgia.

Certainly, millennials and gen Z had contact with any cartoon character that influenced their lifestyle or even personality back in their childhood. The fictional world served as an inspiration for children and teens and now it is a strategy to escape reality when it comes to returning to “normal life” after the pandemic. Social isolation created the need for funny references and ways to express ourselves that serve as a type of throwback to the careless times. Thanks to fashion, it is possible to do it!

The fashion industry has been replicating trends that were popular in the past. That includes Y2K and the indie sleaze trends that were famous between the “it girls” from the 90s and 2000s and the nostalgic elements from cartoons.

Fashion brands into cartoon mania

Therefore, cartoon mania is nothing more, nothing less than fashion inspired by cartoons. Colorful comics turn into prints and fun accessories inspired by the characters’ style come to life. It is a creative and different way to do fashion that has been all over social media in the past years. On the web it is a love or hate kind of trend. But, either way, it is safe to say that it definitely makes a statement. And isn’t it what fashion is all about? 

Throughout the years, many haute couture brands have been standing out for their cartoon mania launches. Here, we selected a couple of them for you to grasp the concept better and have your own opinion about it. Check it out!

MSCHF

The “Big red boots” from MSCHF, an American brand, went viral on the web. Inspired by the Japanese mangá Astro Boy, the pair costs $350 and replicates exactly the shape of the character’s footwear. The boots divided the internet. Many users disliked the Astro Boy-inspired shoe. On the other hand, celebs and influencers made an appearance wearing these polemic boots. 

LOEWE

Another accessory that has been commonly used by the celebs is the LOEWE Inflated Sunglasses, launched in the Fall/Winter 2022 collection. As soon as the sun started to appear and the weather got hotter in the Northern hemisphere, this model of sunnies became a trend in the European summer.

Also, the luxury Spanish brand has launched some eccentric shoes with balloons tucked into the straps of sandals, in the heels or even in balloon shaped scarpins that reminds Minnie Mouse’s inflated shoes. 

Jimmy Choo

The fashion collab Jimmy Choo x Sailor Moon celebrating the 30 years of the mangá presents accessories inspired  by the cartoon universe. Colorful pieces of clothing with Swarovski crystals and prints of the scenes from the anime went viral on the internet and captured not only Sailor Moon fans, but also fashion consumers in general.

GCDS

During the Spring/Summer 2023 collection, the Italian brand GCDS released dresses, jackets, shirts, bikinis and accessories patterned with one of the most famous cartoon characters that we know: SpongeBob. Dua Lipa, Anitta and Bruna Marquezine are some of the celebs that were seen wearing these pieces. 

Moschino

It is not the first time that the Italian brand plays with the fantasy world from the cartoons. Known for its original and playful style, Moschino launched a collection inspired by Looney Tunes, in 2015. The colorful pieces themed with the main characters brought the universe of the cartoon to the runway. 

In 2016, the brand released a collection inspired by Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup from The Powerpuff Girls. According to the ex-creative director Jeremy Scott, he wanted to capture the characters’ spirits in a colorful and fun way. He sure did it very well! The clothes had onomatopoeias and even bags in the shape of the characters’ heads.

Recently, the brand presented the Summer 2023 fashion show full of childish elements that fit in the “Fashion nostalgia” trend, such as stuffed animals, inflatable toys and colorful prints. 

—————————————-

The article above was edited by Amanda Moraes.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Larissa Buzon Cardoso

Casper Libero '26

Journalism student who loves writing. I am keen on fashion, music, art and TV series.