This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

As many of you may have probably noticed, guacamole is super expensive. But truth be told, there is a reason why the guac is an extra $2 at Chipotle. Due to their high demand and high nutrient density, avocados are not a cheap fruit to purchase. They are key in a healthy diet, and while some are afraid of their fat content, most of the fat of an avocado is good for you! Here are a few of the many reasons why avocados are great to eat, and great for your suffering skin too!

1. Avocados provide nearly 20 essential vitamins and minerals, including fiber, potassium, vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, B-Vitamins and Folic-acid.

The fiber helps slow the rate of digestion of food, and makes you fuller quicker!

2. Due to the their fat content, avocados act as nutrient booster by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta carotene.

3. Avocado oil has been shown to be a very effective moisturizer and barrier, due to it’s high vitamin, antioxidant, and fatty-acid content. 

Its chemical properties allow a strong ability to retain water, hence it is used as an emollient and is deeply absorbed by the skin. Those who suffer from dry skin benefit from lotions and cosmetics containing avocado oil. 

4. Avocado oil is high in Vitamin E, polyphenols, and sterolins, all of which help reduce the signs of aging.

Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant, which fights off free radicals that can cause the damage that leads to aging. The sterolins help produce more skin collagen and reduce age spots, while reducing dry skin.

5. The Omega-3 Fatty Acids in avocados have been shown to be a highly effective protector from UV solar radiation, decreasing chances for sunburn and skin cancer risk.

6. Last but not least… They’re the yummiest. Duh.

Senior Nutrition Major at CWRU. On the Varsity Swim and Dive Team, and part of Delta Gamma Fraternity.