This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Mental health is incredibly important to maintain, but it’s easy to neglect during the fast-paced college life. Below is my favorite mental health day recipe for when I need to de-stress and focus on myself. This recipe is easily modifiable, and all ingredients can be substituted for your personal favorites.

Ingredients:

1 autumn-scented candle

1 capful of eucalyptus bubble bath soap

2 fuzzy socks

1 large warm blanket

1 Netflix subscription

3 squares of caramel chocolate

2-hour relaxing Spotify playlist

2 drops of bergamot essential oils

Optional:

1 adult coloring book

12 coloring pencils

2 favorite movies

1 new book

Step 1

Plan your mental health day on a day that’s free of responsibilities. Usually, a Saturday or a Sunday will do. On the night before, prepare by gathering all of the ingredients you need for your perfect mental health day. Don’t forget to turn off your alarm! Because you have nothing planned for the next day, other than taking care of yourself, it doesn’t matter if you sleep in. If you sleep in for a few hours extra, it’s probably because your body needs the extra sleep. It’s important to listen to your body’s needs on your mental health day.

Step 2

Begin the morning with a balanced breakfast! Even though it is a mental health day, it’s also important to take care of your physical health, as they both go hand in hand.

Image courtesy of Pexels

Step 3

Draw a warm bath and relax. Add a capful or two of essential oil bubble bath mixture—I suggest eucalyptus; it’s not only relaxing, but it helps to open up the sinuses. Before getting in the bath, light your favorite candle, turn on a relaxing Spotify playlist and grab a good book. Allow yourself to be transported into a new universe, free from all the anxiety and stress of daily life.

Step 4

This step is completely optional but, around noon, take a trip to a local coffee shop for lunch with a friend. If going out is too much work, invite your friends over and treat yourself to a delicious lunch at home.

Step 5

Don’t let the pampering stop! After lunch, put on your comfiest clothes and your fuzziest socks and prepare to settle in for a relaxing evening. Add bergamot or lavender to an Essential Oils diffuser and put on a relaxing face mask. Now is the perfect time to cuddle up on the couch and catch up the latest Netflix craze or watch a favorite childhood movie. Other alternatives include coloring, knitting or completing a puzzle.

Mental health days are all about taking care of yourself, and finding the perfect recipe requires trying new things. The goal is to feel relaxed and rejuvenated for the upcoming week, so if any of these activities create any anxiety, they’re not the self-care activities for you.

Rep image courtesy of Alex Van

Taylor Beck is a junior at Carthage College majoring in Elementary Education and minoring in Political Science. When she needs a break from wild first graders, Taylor spends her time cross stitching, binge watching The Office (again), or going to Taco Belle with her sisters of Kappa Phi Eta.