This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

For some, writing poetry is great stress relief – it allows them to express their feelings. For others, poetry is a way to tell a creative story. Here at Carthage, there’s a club for those who wish to write poetry: Poetry Underground. This low-commitment club provides a safe place for those who love poetry to write and share some of their own works. Each meeting presents a different concept to write about, ranging from vines to science to odes. Each week, it’s a different inspiration. Enjoy some of these poems written by members of this fantastic organization.

Hard Work,

Dedication,

Going to space.

Currie and

Hidden Figures,

Raising the Stakes.

Running, rushing,

Racing,

To the finish line.

Only to find,

You need a penis to apply.

– Kathryn Milschewski ‘21

Pretty Little GPA

Why Won’t My Parents Love Me If You Drop Below An A?

Pretty Little GPA

I Didn’t Have To Worry About You Until Now

And Now All You Do Is Make My Parents Have A Cow

Pretty Little GPA

Shrink And Go Away!

I Don’t Want To Be Stuck To This Grade

Pretty Little GPA

They Say I’ll Leave You Behind For The Rest Of My Life (yeah right)

I Just Hope That Those That Come Next Won’t Worry As Much

About their Pretty Little GPA

As For Me, It’s Time To Start Another Day

Looking Forward To Not Worrying About My Pretty Little GPA

– Emily Roubik ’22

These poems are just a small snapshot of what Poetry Underground does. The first poem is an example of a night of science and discovery. The second poem was a warm September night of sidewalk poetry. The final poem is an example of shape poetry. These amazing writers meet once a week and enjoy writing together.

Courtney Boeder

Carthage '22

Courtney Boeder is a freshman at Carthage College. She is an elementary education major with a minor in urban education. She is originally from Watertown, WI. While she isn't hanging out with friends, she is either snacking or watching Netflix.
Carthage Says

Carthage '19

Written by Carthage students for Carthage students.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.