stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Ultimate Ottawa Fitness Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Need to change up your workout schedule this fall? Whether you like running, biking, or like to switch it up, read on for the best places to make workouts fun in Ottawa.

Running

Whether you’re a marathon runner or run for leisure, Ottawa’s trails will not only kick your fitness level up a notch, but the scenery will blow you away. Sometimes your mind and body need a break from everything, and here’s where to find it.

Arboretum

Located only a five to 10-minute walk from campus, the Arboretum contains beautiful green areas with lots of trails near the historic Rideau locks and the Fletcher Wildlife garden.

Photo by MAtthew Lejune on Unsplash​

Hogs Back Falls

Just two kilometers from campus the beautiful Hogs Back Falls are beautiful spot near Carleton that’s easy to get to. Just watch out for the slippery rocks if you decide to go look at the falls close up!

Mooney’s Bay Beach

Try some hill intervals at the Mooney’s Bay Park hill, just 2.5 kilometers from campus. You can also run on the beach for extra resistance training or try some strength exercises at the new Canadian-themed playground.

Photo by Jennifer Birdie Shawk on Unsplash​

Experimental Farm

Need a challenge? Try a 5 kilometer race at the Experimental Farm. On the first Saturday of every month RunOttawa hosts races at the farm. Find more information here.  

Biking 

Ottawa is one of the best places in Canada to bike with over 800 kilometers of trails. If you don’t have a bike you can rent one at the downtown RentABike location next to the Rideau locks, or use bike-sharing service VeloGO.

Downtown via the Canal

Follow the Rideau Canal Eastern Pathway downtown to run errands and enjoy some beautiful views along the way. The ride usually takes about 30 minutes form campus.

Photo by Jennifer Christopher Austin on Unsplash​

Remic Rapids

Follow the bike path next to the Bayview O-Train station, then continue west along the river to discover one of Ottawa’s best kept secrets. 

Gatineau Park

If you’re looking for a challenge, Gatineau Park has some killer hills, and even better views. Try the Champlain Lookout trail to up your Instagram game while working out.

Photo by Nicolas Duvieusart Déry on Unsplash

Fitness

Try these inexpensive fitness locations to feel good while on a budget. 

Paddle at Dow’s Lake

Rent a kayak, canoe, or paddle board at Dow’s Lake, located across the street from the Carling O-Train Station. Rentals start at $16 per hour, find more info here.

Photo by Domek Baginski on Unsplash

Pure Yoga

This is a yogi’s go-to. With two locations on Bank Street, they a ton of classes, including hot yoga. Try going during $5 Power Hour, where new instructors teach classes.

Vertical Reality Climbing Gym 

Near Lebreton Flats, this climbing gym offers, bouldering, climbing, and a fitness facility. It’s open until midnight most nights and is half price after 9 p.m. 

Photo by Stephanie Cook on Unsplash

CU Fitpass

You don’t have to go far to get a good workout in. Carleton offers fit passes for only $6/week. This means access to unlimited classes like spin, kickboxing, and tabatta. 

Unwind with a workout to relieve that stress you carry around during the school year. Not only is Ottawa a great city for fitness, it has some of the most breathtaking spots to go and explore. So make your workout an adventure, what do you have to lose?

Meghan Burns

Carleton '22

Hi! My name is Meghan, I am a first year student at Carleton University in Ottawa studying Public Affairs and Policy Management. I'm interested in health and fitness, traveling, reading, and being engaged in my community.