How To Make The Most Out Of Your Second Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

We can find ourselves burning out easily at the end of the first semester, and that lazy routine during the holidays doesn’t help your mental health and productivity going into the second semester. So, don’t give up on school just yet because we’ve got some tips that will make you thrive this second half of the school year.

1. Join a Club

Universities are overflowing with clubs and societies. There is something out there for each one of us. Clubs and societies aren’t only a super fun way to spend your time, they’re also a great way to get involved, make some new friends, and try something new!

2. Set a schedule

A huge part of the university struggle is finding the time to get everything done in the day. When we are pressed for time and have five assignments to do, we get stressed and discouraged. Along with that stress, we focus all our time on schoolwork and have no time to fit in the hobbies that make us happy. Creating a schedule can help us eliminate that struggle. Try using an agenda to keep your tasks in order or invest in a calendar that will help you remember each task on your list. If you’re looking for something that’s less maintenance, try making a daily list on your phone when you wake up of all the things you want to get done in the day. This will help keep your thoughts in order and your priorities straight.

3. Prioritize your happy place

We all have something that helps us escape from school. Whether it be a hobby like running or painting, it’s important to make time in the day to do those things. Even if 20 minutes is all you have time for, taking those 20 minutes will help settle your stress, and clear your mind. Not only will it be enjoyable but taking a break will help reset your mental focus for when it is time to get back to the books.

4. Invest yourself in your academics

You invest a ton of money into your academics, so why not invest yourself too? I went my whole first year without talking to my professors just out of pure fear. My very first class of second year, my professor began the class by saying “A lot of us professors are here 70% for the research and 30% for the teaching. Not that we don’t care about you, but we aren’t going to go out of our way to make sure you’re doing your best. So, don’t be afraid to get to know us, and ask questions because YOU are paying to be here.” I hadn’t really taken much thought into the idea that I really had to step outside of my comfort zone to ensure I was getting everything I could out of each class. So, I started asking questions, and running my ideas for assignments by my professors and my whole university experience changed. It really does make a difference to find some sort of interest in the classes you’re taking and ask if you need help. Your wallet and your grades will thank you.

Just because you had a good first semester, doesn’t mean you have to settle for a good second. Take your positive experiences from the first semester and carry them with you but add a few more habits to make the second semester even better. Happy new year and I wish you all the very best semester yet.

Grace Moran

Carleton '21

Grace is currently in her second year of Environmental Science. This is her first year writing for Her Campus with the Carleton Chapter.