stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Five of my Favourite Fitness Studios Near Carleton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Growing up as a dancer, a healthy, active lifestyle has always been a key part of my life. After leaving dance about two years ago, I knew I needed to find an activity that would keep me moving, to replace the twenty hours a week I had spent dancing. To be honest, I get bored very easily, so I am constantly changing up and testing out new workouts. This has led me to try out quite a few classes, gyms, and studios in Ottawa. I am a huge sucker for any trendy, Instagramable, very LA-type workouts. As their popularity has increased, Ottawa is now home to a few these workout studios. Here is a list of some of my favourites (that are close to Carleton).

Barres and Wheels

Barres and Wheels is my new love and obsession. I started going about two months ago and already have noticed amazing results. The studio offers a range of classes from spin, barre, pilates, and my all time favourite PILOXING – an amazing combination of boxing, pilates and dance! The studio space is absolutely stunning, and all the equipment is top notch. The environment is so positive and welcoming, and the staff are lovely and motivating. One of my favourite extra touches at the studio is the “sticky note wall” in the change room. This is where patrons can write positive messages and post them for others to read. They are all very empowering, and a testament to how the studio has changed so many people’s lives.

Location: 286 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1M3

Cost: $50 new client two week trial

Directions from Carleton: 7 St.Laurent to Bank & Lewis 

Pure Yoga

If you haven’t been to Pure Yoga yet, what are you doing? Pure yoga is an amazing hot yoga studio for all levels, with the best teachers, and a range of different styles. Whether you prefer a deep meditation or you are looking for a challenging workout, Pure yoga has it all. The studio space has many windows, which means lots of sunshine to bask in during your classes you leave feeling absolutely radiant. If you’re not one for the mindfulness aspect of yoga, grab a friend and go to Brittany’s Pure Beats class, Wednesdays at 12pm. Each week Brittany creates a brand new and super fun playlist, usually with a theme (for example boy bands of the 90s). 

Location: 359 Bank St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1X9

Cost: $45 one month intro

Soul Speak

Unfortunately, I have yet to try a class at Soul Speak, however, much like the Pure Beats class at Pure Yoga, Soul Speak offers classes with great themes and music. I mentioned Soul Speak in this list because they have held a yoga class specifically dedicated to Billie Eilish songs, and any studio that dedicates an entire class to Billie Eilish gets a gold start in my opinion.

Location: 1226 Wellington St W #201, Ottawa, ON K1Y 3A1

Cost: $99 for two months of unlimited yoga

Directions from Carleton: 2 Bayview to Bayview station

Where I Thrive

On Nov. 1, The Daily Method Ottawa, launched with a new name; “Where I Thrive”, and a brand new location. Everything clients loved about the original studio – from the super sculpting barre classes, to the cardio boosting spin classes – will all be a part of “Where I Thrive”. The new studio add more exciting elements, including: new classes, a cafe, treatment rooms, a weight room, and circuit classes!

If “Where I Thrive”, resembles anything like The Daily Method, I will confidently tell you the studio will be a great place to start your fitness and body positive journey, and the studio environment will be very welcoming and friendly.

Location: 117 Glebe Avenue (November 1st)

Cost: $49 Two Week Unlimited – New Client Special

Directions from Carleton: 7 St.Laurent to first avenue

Ottawa Fight & Fitness

Ottawa Fight and Fitness has a different scene to those listed above. The gym itself does not carry a specific aesthetic or trendy vibe. However, boxing has become an increasingly popular workout on social media and among influencers and celebrities – and the reason for this is because it works. Ottawa Fight and Fitness might not look as cute as some of the boxing fitness studios in Los Angeles, but the workout is still killer , and works your entire body to drastically improve your health, fitness, and coordination. Not only is boxing a great workout, but great fun. The coaches at the gym are also very skilled in what they do, to ensure you’re also having fun. 

Location: 464 Bank St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1Z3

Cost: First week FREE

Directions from Carleton: 7 St.Laurent to Bank & Flora

Get fit this winter! You have no excuse with these amazing centres so close to you. 

Loves pilates, yoga, contemporary romance novels, and travel. Future field on interest: Public Relations. Will *scream* sing along to any Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo song.