Yes, I Have an Invisible Condition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Invisible conditions, diseases, and illnesses are real, and they deserve the same recognition as visible conditions. Being in any type of pain is never easy, especially when it’s not obvious to the naked eye. Add that pain to everyday college life, and it can cause a heap of distress for any student. This invisible pain can arise from a range of conditions, such as anxiety and depression to Lyme Disease and other internal physical disorders. As someone who deals with an invisible condition daily, I know what it’s like to battle every day activities of homework, going to classes, having a social life, extracurricular activities, keeping good mental health, and finding time for myself. It isn’t an easy task, but it’s definitely doable.

I had back surgery when I was sixteen years old, and I deal with those consequences every day. Getting out of bed is a struggle–an actual, physical struggle. Some nights, I barely get any sleep because of the pain. Continually, I recently developed a tumor in my stomach, which is affecting my organs. I’m in the process of figuring out the cause of the tumor and if it’s cancerous or not. My health conditions have only increased my anxiety. Still, you couldn’t tell about my pain if you saw me walking across campus. You wouldn’t know if my back was throbbing or if my stomach was severely cramping. I know how blessed I am, I put a smile on my face and I fight through any pain, any misunderstandings from others and any obstacles that are put in my way. I believe that I have a purpose and that I matter…and so do you.

I rank my pain with that of anyone with an invisible condition or disorder. I know what it’s like to develop anxiety that no one understands. I know that people don’t always understand or believe your pain because they can’t actually see it. I know how it feels to walk with your friends and to slow down the group because you just can’t walk any faster. The funny thing is, people will blame my struggle on my weight, when it’s a legitimate condition that is the cause. I get what it’s like to push through each week thinking, “If I can just get through this week…” Trust me, I understand, and I want to tell you that you aren’t alone. There is no shame in dealing with anything internally, whether it is a mental issue or a physical one. You do not have to prove anything to anyone. I know there will be days that seem impossible to overcome, but listen to Dory and “just keep swimming!”

I am only one example of someone who doesn’t let an invisible condition tear me down. Take a look at models Yolanda Foster and her daughter Bella Hadid; they both deal with Lyme Disease, yet you can still see a picture of Bella on the newest cover of Vogue magazine or Yolanda traveling the world. Selena Gomez is dealing with an invisible disease called Lupus. Jesse J has Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Look at celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence, who has spoken out about her social anxiety, and Kourtney Kardashian, Kendall Jenner, and Kylie Jenner, who have mentioned on television about their anxiety and depression. Even musicians such as Adele has spoken out about her anxiety attacks, Demi Lovato about her weight, depression, and anxiety and Ellie Goulding about stress. Hell, even Lil Wayne has a condition: epilepsy.

It is extremely important for colleges and universities to recognize the significance of invisible disorders, diseases, and conditions. This is a message for all of those struggling with anything internally: you are not alone.

Senior at California University of Pennsylvania. Dual major in secondary education [English 9-12] and English [language and literacy concentration] with a minor in literature. Member of Phi Sigma Pi, the co-ed National Honor Fraternity, since Fall 2013 with many E-Board position experiences, including president. Current president of Sigma Tau Delta. the International English Society, with past experience as secretary. Peer Mentor. Member of Kappa Delta Pi, the International Honor Society in Education. Proud Cal U Writing Center tutor.
I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.